Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-01-2018, 04:36 AM

Llorgon is on a distinguished road

Finally started to see a bit of ammonia today when I tested the water. So the cycle should be on its way soon... I hope.

Started working on a stocking list. Finding this to be difficult since I know very little about saltwater fish. Also trying to find a good mix of colour and not breaking the bank.

So far what I have is

Flame angel - Hopefully I can find one that doesn't eat coral
a couple clown fish - wife says this is a must, trying to talk her out of it
Kole Yellow Eye Tang
Royal gramma basslet
Some sort of wrasse, haven't made up my mind of which
maybe a blenny or goby if I'm not over stocked already. I could get a shrimp to go with the goby.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:36 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Clownfish are awesome! Get yourself an anemone and a mated pair. This makes for nice movement and entertainment in the tank.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:05 PM

duncangweller is on a distinguished road

I always wanted clowns in my 75 gallon too and I had some for a couple of years and then they got really territorial once they started breeding.

They would attack every time I stuck my hand in the tank. You wouldn't think a little fish could do much damage but the little things drew blood a couple of times and used to make me jump and fling water everywhere when they caught me off guard. I got rid of them and wouldn't put any back in my tank again.

Just my musings on the subject

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncangweller View Post
I always wanted clowns in my 75 gallon too and I had some for a couple of years and then they got really territorial once they started breeding.

They would attack every time I stuck my hand in the tank. You wouldn't think a little fish could do much damage but the little things drew blood a couple of times and used to make me jump and fling water everywhere when they caught me off guard. I got rid of them and wouldn't put any back in my tank again.

I have heard this quite a bit. Clowns are entertaining, but can be really territorial and aggressive. Which is why I am hesitant to add them. I don't really want them tanking over the entire one side of the tank or something like that.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:35 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncangweller View Post

Crazy! My clowns are be complete opposite. They will eat out of my hand and constantly lay eggs. If you put a new coral near their nem they will attack it for a bit then grow bored.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:05 PM

Sounds like they can be hit and miss. I talked to the wife and she won't budge on the clowns. So they are staying. So right now my stock list will be

Flame angel
Clown fish x2
Kole Yellow Eye Tang
Royal gramma basslet
Melanurus wrasse

Can I fit anything else in there? I think some sort of bottom dwelling fish would be good. Goby of some sort maybe?

Then I would have the general cleaning crew with a couple of shrimp.

I am finding getting a stocking list for this tank to be way more challenging than freshwater. Seems like all reef fish you can only have one per tank.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:44 AM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

Your melanarus wrasse and your shrimp might not be the best of friends. I only added a melanarus to help battle the monti nudibranch because I am getting tired of pulling the little white ungrateful Ba***** out of my tank.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger View Post
Your melanarus wrasse and your shrimp might not be the best of friends. I only added a melanarus to help battle the monti nudibranch because I am getting tired of pulling the little white ungrateful Ba***** out of my tank.
Ok that is good to know. Is that true for all types of wrasses or just melanarus?
Old 04-03-2018, 04:15 PM

chizerbunoi is on a distinguished road

Get the clownfish and let her pick them out and name them. It will keep her happy and excited about your hobby. If she is happy, she will support your future upgrade when her clowns need a bigger home.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizerbunoi View Post
Get the clownfish and let her pick them out and name them. It will keep her happy and excited about your hobby. If she is happy, she will support your future upgrade when her clowns need a bigger home.
HA! That's a good idea. I will probably do that. She's actually pretty good. As long as it "looks pretty" and we can still pay the mortgage and buy food, I can do what I want for the most part. She has her expensive hobby and I have mine.