Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: Do you regret your anemone?
Yes 12 26.67%
No 23 51.11%
Maybe... sometimes... not yet? 10 22.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2015, 05:50 AM

F.H is on a distinguished road
Default Do you regret your anemone?

So for the past couple months I've been on and off about adding an RBTA in my display. Those of you that I've met, know that I've probably annoyed you at one time or another about what your experiences were with your nems.

I would like one, I think it adds a much needed "red" colour in my display, along with movement, and I have a pair of clowns which might end up hosting it. But every time I do research on having one in a mixed reef, I always come to the conclusion that eventually they will become a problem, and I will regret it as they might end up in a powerhead, stinging other corals in my tank, or have one in a good spot, only to end up with it splitting and the second nem causing trouble.

My goal for my tank is to have a mixed reef, with some euphylia, zoas, brains, sps, etc. Although lately I've been leaning towards sps a bit more, haha.

In my aquascape, I have glued all my rocks together, so if the nem were to crawl into a space where I don't like, tearing my tank apart to get it out would probably not be an option... especially if it splits and one of the babies runs off somewhere unwanted... another reason why staying away from them might be the best case for me...

Speaking to Thomas the other day, he showed me that his strategy is to confine them to an "island", and since the nems can't crawl on sand, he seems to have it working. I can maybe put up a picture of my aquascape tomorrow, as I do have the potential to make an island in the center of my tank and try this method... The only downside to this is if the nem decides to float somewhere else, in which case it will most likely end up in a powerhead.

Usually when I do some research, I come to the conclusion that I should stay away, but I was going through some tank journals yesterday, and I noticed that despite what is suggested about nems in a mixed reef, a lot of the experienced reefers seem to have them... which made me think once again that maybe I should try it... haha.

The other option that I was thinking is maybe just get a flowerpot, which would in turn be similar to a nem, giving me movement, and the pink or red colour in my tank, with the possibility of clowns hosting it, although I think that might just end up irritating the flowerpot haha.

So those of you who have had experience with one, I'd like to hear some stories, do you regret your anemone purchase?

Last edited by F.H; 04-13-2015 at 05:55 AM.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:07 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Not to get into great detail, but I found a plastic fork is a great tool for removing them from your power heads
Maybe they don't walk on sand, but they sure float over top of it. Tried twice, ended badly both times.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:14 AM

rishu_pepper is on a distinguished road

Have had a sebae for almost half a year and a RBTA for about a month, both are great showpieces and though they required much planning ahead (and they don't like your plans!), definitely worth the time and trouble. Both are dinner plate sized and have hosted clowns (fallow atm), and will do so after fish are back in. Amazing creatures.

RBTA did manage to wreck some nice xenias which my wife wasn't happy about.

Brian
Old 04-13-2015, 06:50 AM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

I regret mine because its too effing big. Just a rbta but takes up half the friggin tank in a happy day and of coarse cant put anything near it. And rather then splitting and staying a reasonable size this things just huge. Clowns dont host in it either.
It doesnt move. Never has. Had it for 3 years now its split once last year. Always stayed bubbled. Was 3-4" when i bought it.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:05 AM

ReEf BoSs is on a distinguished road

My rbta moon walked across sand this morning. He also took two trips into the same powerhead over a week span, he will win one day.
Exception to the rule....He is a fu*kin ninja.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:11 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Like mine but then I don't have any SPS or powerheads to worry about if they were to wander (not that they do though).
Old 04-13-2015, 12:31 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

No problems so far, it's been about 6 months
Old 04-13-2015, 12:43 PM

corpusse is on a distinguished road

Never had an anemone I regretted. BTA's can't really cause too much harm. I've had some get huge, I've had some move to the back and shrivel up and return the size of a toonie. They do what they want, go where they want. If they settle they're happy. If they want to be stupid that's up to them. I'm not going to pry them off the rock to move to a better spot, they can do it themselves.

I recently got a red rock flower but it's in a spot I can't see it, however my green one did the same thing for a while and eventually did move to the front. Also have some mini carpets which in my experience move the least as I've had some in the same spots for years and years. Finally just setup a new tank with a haddoni although this tank will be built around the anemone. Even this one didn't go where I wanted but now that it's settled in I think it looks great in the spot it chose.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:45 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I have had my sebae for 10 years without any real issues. However I don't have any powerheads and it was the first invert in the tank so everything was placed around it. It does move a little from time to time but I have been lucky so far. Still, if it was killed I likely wouldn't replace it.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 04-13-2015, 03:36 PM

Taipan is on a distinguished road

"Knock on wood" .....I've never had a BTA or Carpet walk or float into a powerhead. I have had them wander into the overflow; fortunately with no blockage.

I always mention to potential Carpet owners that he/she should mentally prepare themselves that one day the Carpet will potentially "eat" or sting their most prized fish (unless it's an 'all-anemone' Display). It doesn't necessarily have to be the most expensive fish. It will be the fish that you and/or your significant other, child likes the most. "Things" happen - a feeding frenzy, aggression, territory disputes, being startled. That fish will fins its way into that carpet.

That being said; I still love anemones and enjoy keeping them. That's the story I'm sticking with.