Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-15-2016, 07:46 PM

gmann is on a distinguished road
Default Lighting advice

**edit: changed my question as I did not word it properly the first time**

im considering a new lighting setup, and while I love my kessil pendants, ive been considering making a switch to one of the higher end led fixtures. So my question is, costs aside, would you pick a hydra 52 HD, the new ecotech, or the AP700? I also saw there is a new Philips set up coming out, but until that is confirmed I will leave it off the list.

if I missed another fixture that meets my criteria, please let me know.

thanks

Last edited by gmann; 12-15-2016 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:17 PM

rockworm is on a distinguished road

You can also consider the GHL Mitras. I have two 6200lx over my 75g. They have just released the new 7200 and they appear to be very good.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:25 PM

Potatohead is on a distinguished road

From what I have seen of the Philips unit on the BRS testing, it looks pretty awesome.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatohead View Post
From what I have seen of the Philips unit on the BRS testing, it looks pretty awesome.
yeah I saw that, but who knows when those will be coming across the Atlantic.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:45 AM

Tyfighter is on a distinguished road

What size is your tank?
Old 12-16-2016, 04:20 AM

72x30x24

im pretty sure i would only need 2 of the kessils whereas with the others i would need 3 units.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:22 PM
The Don

Galizio is on a distinguished road

Depends what corals you want to keep.
I saw your tank and honestly is a sweet custom light you got , if you only had one more kessil and a couple more t5 I would no be worried, could grow anything.
If you are no worried about the price and going just for the LED with no other supplement I think Radion is the way to go, even if I was really happy with my kessils, saw some nice corals under radion and AI leds. Anyways ecotech and radion work together so any of the 2 is ok, also the kessil looks good and probably for your tank is the cheapest option. But if I was no worried about the $$$ will go for 4 to 6 radions.
At the end of the day I think all 3 are top notch LED units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2016, 03:26 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

I wonder how much the philips would be marketed for if they did come out with some for the North America market, I think we all watched the brs clip on the new fixture. It seems like even par throughout the area and perfect colour blending make this light a lot more even to look at and close to replicating t5 or mh.

May I ask why you want to change your lighting?

Is it for sps growth or colouring up your corals or not enough coverage?

I think once we can determine what you're after it's easy to choose the best fixture to suit your needs.

I run all 3 mh t5 and led, will have to say since I've supplemented my lighting with kessils I've noticed some of the acropora colour for the better, definitely gives the pop on sps and Lps.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 12-16-2016, 03:28 PM

Tankboy is on a distinguished road

We have two tanks, one with Radion Gen 4's x 2 and one with two AP700's. The visual aspect of the Ap700's is better than the Radions in my opinion, but the software on the Radions is better than the Kessils. Kessil has recently updated their firmware and also is Beta testing newer software...so they are finally getting this lights software up to the level it should have been at from day one! The Kessils are on a 72 x 18 x 20 tank and the Radions are on a RSM 250. If I had to do it all over again...I would still go with the Kessils as the color, shimmer, and results I am getting with my SPS has been great. Just wish the software would have been better when I bought them when they first came out.
125 gallon Oceanic mixed reef, Maxspect 150, MP 40QD x 2, EShopps 300R Refugium, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2x Kessil AP700's, JBJ ATO with Advanced Acrylics ATO reservoir, Apex Next Gen with Neptune dosing pumps....and a bunch of other stuff including a lot of joy...and equal amounts of frustration!
Old 12-16-2016, 03:35 PM
The Don

Galizio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post
I wonder how much the philips would be marketed for if they did come out with some for the North America market, I think we all watched the brs clip on the new fixture. It seems like even par throughout the area and perfect colour blending make this light a lot more even to look at and close to replicating t5 or mh.

May I ask why you want to change your lighting?

Is it for sps growth or colouring up your corals or not enough coverage?

I think once we can determine what you're after it's easy to choose the best fixture to suit your needs.

I run all 3 mh t5 and led, will have to say since I've supplemented my lighting with kessils I've noticed some of the acropora colour for the better, definitely gives the pop on sps and Lps.

+1 on this...
Bud you should go check it out , he is walking distance from you and the custom fixture he got is really sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk