Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 01-11-2016, 03:37 PM

Animal-Chin is on a distinguished road

I had a horrible QT experience. About a year and a half ago my tank got velvet. WIPED out my entire livestock in 5 days, brutal. I let my display go fallow for 2 months and while doing that I set up a 20 gallon long QT. Had a HOB filter, live rock and a Hydor pump for flow. Put in a clay pot for hiding. Pretty much followed every instruction on line I could find. Let the QT cycle and bought my first fish, a baby regal tang.

Regal tang hated the QT. Never got it to eat and it died.

Bought a schooling banner fish. It came in with ich, great so I medicated with some stuff I got at oceanic and got rid of the ich. Fish never made it though, died shortly after the ich was gone.

Did a 100% water change and let the tank cycle again although never saw ammonia as the live rock was already established.

Bought a Naso tang. It hid in the pot, never took food and died.

Bought another small regal, it would pick on algae a bit but basically hid and died.

Took down the QT and started just adding fish back to the display, havn't had an issue since.

I think my QT tank was just the wrong environment for the fish I was buying. Online, in many many articles they say a 20 gallon long is plenty of QT but man did I have issues...
Old 01-11-2016, 04:25 PM

Ian is on a distinguished road

Could someone give a link to a full description of tank transfer method....sounds like something I need to learn more about

Old 01-11-2016, 04:44 PM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

I have posted this before and here it is again. This is where I first read about the tank transfer method as an alternative to quarantine

http://atj.net.au/marineaquaria/3daytransfer.html

There is a lot on google to read, just put tank transfer method in search
Old 01-11-2016, 05:36 PM

Fin2you is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
That sir, is your problem. Number one rule - keep fish stuff out of the kitchen and bathroom. That is wife territory (don't tell her that!).
Let's throw a monkey wrench into this just b/c I can. What if the wife is the fish keeper & the husband has the problem with the fish stuff everywhere??? I have a 10gal fish tank on my kitchen counter & over my dead body does it go anywere. I love interacting with my betta while I'm stuck in the kitchen god only knows how many hours out of the day cooking for these legged family members (both 2 & 4), plus my basement spare kitchen right now is a disaster zone of Extra fish stuff I don't know what to do with & there are 2 5gal tanks in the garage hubby doesn't want there.......
Hubby put a shelf in the bottom of the metal stand for my 40gal but it's open (just got a tablecloth covering it & the damn cats keep getting under there knocking everything over.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:45 PM

rsisvixen is on a distinguished road

I run my TT's with a home made sponge filter ( some small starbucks plastic cups, made holes around the bottom third of the sides, stuff in some filter floss, airstone, some ceramic media for weight, drill the lid with holes and run an airtube through and voila a sponge filter )
During my TT and QT I always mix in some fish eggs to the food mix, I've yet to find any fish that will refuse it. I also add live bbs and tiggerpods in the morning for the shy fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin2you View Post
Let's throw a monkey wrench into this just b/c I can. What if the wife is the fish keeper & the husband has the problem with the fish stuff everywhere???
Lol, I hear you, I also breed birds so I have bird stuff and fish stuff everywhere.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:37 AM

sdeschutter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Bought a Naso tang. It hid in the pot, never took food and died.

Bought another small regal, it would pick on algae a bit but basically hid and died.
Funny you say that about the tangs! I've tried to keep two yellow tangs and both died. I think some tangs are just so finicky. I say that cause I have a blue tang that went through the whole fallow TT and then QT thing for three months and he is just fine. Anyway the first Yellow Tang I put directly in my DT before it got infected with ich(I think the Blue Tang was responsible) and he lasted a week.. I just lost the second one last week. He ate for the first 5 days then just stopped. He however was in the QT tank.

I like the idea of TT for new fish then QT. I'm going to do that for my next addition.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:20 PM

SylvanZoaReefer is on a distinguished road

My baby Naso tang got Ich in QT treated with ich cure and the next day he was eating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk