Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-21-2015, 02:41 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough
Default Quarantine Tank thoughts

Based on our recent poll, roughly 44% of us QT new fish.

How do you do that? I mean as far as setup goes.

Reason I ask is this. My newly acquired Anthias (1 male, 4 female) are doing great, eating like pigs, nearly jumping out of the tank when I go near it with food. All in all, doing better than I had hoped
Another reefer locally also bought some of these fish, 1 male, 3 female. So far, it being one week today, his still have not touched a bite of food, and he's tried everything including all the things mine are eating.

My tank is a 50g breeder, about 30 pounds live rock, dual T5 on 12 hours/day. Large aquaclear and a tunze 6080 for flow.

His tank is a tall 26g bow front, no rock, some decorative pipe or vase or something, lights on 1 hour day, or during feeding attempts. Flow is unknown, but claims to have good flow, but that's too subjective so I really have no idea what the flow is

So here's my thoughts. All things being equal, it appears that the QT environment has a role in the success of the fish. Oddly, he has a Regal Angel in there doing quite well.

Do we need to "tune" the tank based on what fish are going in, or is there a standard that works vs others that work less well?

Thoughts? What is your QT setup like?