Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 10-29-2014, 05:53 PM

kamloops_reefer is on a distinguished road

update - here is a picture of a 4/5th's complete of the LED's bonded to the heat sink. I have clustered them together as close as possible in groups to avoid "spotting" which I've heard about. as well - this will be similar to so many lights on the market anyways (having clusters like this).

Last edited by kamloops_reefer; 01-21-2015 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:55 PM

Here is a conceptual view of the finished product. I will have my old sources on the WETcoast waterjet cut and form up the aluminum or stainless housing which will accomodate (3) 5" fans, louvers for venting, attachment to the heat sink, and the mounting of the Storm X controller. I plan to have the 500 watt power supply run externally to reduce additional heat.

Last edited by kamloops_reefer; 01-21-2015 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:22 PM

brandonpauley is on a distinguished road

Wow looks awesome! Wish I had thr resources to make the heatsink like you did...going to look great when its done
Old 10-29-2014, 07:29 PM

I really haven't been catching much of a break on price or anything for the material I'm using, just the know where to get it. and also know how to do drafting to make a plan on how to put it all together.

I find these projects are best suited for those who can wait. I've been tinkering on this for a month now! and have had the LED's for almost a year, sitting in a box!

This will still cost $1,200 bucks, and some think that I would have been better of getting two radions or something, but theoretically, nothing will compete. Its kind of like hot rodding, Give me 30k to spend on a 10k used vehicle and I'll blow any production car that cost 100k out of the water.

I just have one of those personalities that cant justify spending that much money on those lights when I could do something similar, and at the day be more confident with the performance of the product (true or not).
Old 10-29-2014, 10:17 PM

brandonpauley is on a distinguished road

Not too far off from how much mine was to build...mine was about a grand total to build with the premade heatsink. I had the same thought that anything I buy will not compete with what I can build for the price. I measured the current draw at full power and found that my system is 300 watts of actual operating power and I have to have it turned down to about 100 watts to prevent bleaching of my zoas and brain corals. My tank is only 18" deep so I wont have to do any upgrading when I upgrade tanks...just turn up the power! Another plus is DIY setups are infinitly upgradeable and easily repairable
Old 12-06-2014, 05:46 AM

Smile

well like most builds in the world - it didn't turn out quite as I had imagined, however all cosmetic things can be done later.

Here are a few pictures:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0pdozr9olf...21227.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ljdodawrgq...12628.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ps1qx5wdv7...13743.jpg?dl=0

of course the camera doesn't do it any justice - ah well, I'm happy with it

Last edited by kamloops_reefer; 12-06-2014 at 05:49 AM.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:56 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamloops_reefer View Post
well like most builds in the world - it didn't turn out quite as I had imagined, however all cosmetic things can be done later.

Here are a few pictures:

of course the camera doesn't do it any justice - ah well, I'm happy with it
Nice work. I kind of like the slim, industrial look of the fixture. Besides, the main thing at the moment is determining if the light output, spectrum & look of the tank, livestock, live rock etc. are what you intended. And you are happy with it, so it's all good.

On the subject of photos, not sure why they are showing only as links instead of displaying directly in your post. I tried copying your links & embedding them using the picture function but didn't work either. Could be some security settings in your Dropbox host account. I have a Dropbox account but generally use Windows Live Drive & more recently Google+ for displaying photos in forum posts. Anyhow, below is a photo from my Dropbox account, had to give it a try to see if it works for me.

.... and evidently, it does not!
Old 12-06-2014, 09:21 PM

Hello Mike, I know I tried to embed them as well - I swear it worked in the past.... same with google drive pictures.

ah well!

I'll figure it out today and embed the photos
Old 12-06-2014, 11:00 PM

Old 12-07-2014, 12:54 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

All I see is picture place holders, no photos. If I use the right click on the place holder icon, I can copy the URL & paste in new window to show the image or use the "Open image in new tab" menu option. Then I see the photo..

EDIT: Hmm, weird, I tried posting both photo with Windows Live then with Dropbox. At first the Dropbox photo didn't show, then it did. And suddenly I see all your photos. Software! Black Magic!

Last edited by mike31154; 12-07-2014 at 01:02 AM.