Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-18-2012, 02:18 AM

ogopogo is on a distinguished road
Default Cleaner shrimp

So today I moved out a few piece of rock out of my nano to help seed my new 55. My levels are still all good, Nitrates are around 10PPM thats the only thing high. Everyone is doing fine, except for my cleaner shrimp found him on the bottom of the tank dead, I don't know if maybe he got to close to my pistol shrimps cage and got whacked, or if he just got to stressed? Any idea's? I've had him in the tank for about 7-8 months now with no issues before.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:09 AM

NastayNatron is on a distinguished road

Its not just his shell/skin is it? If it molted sometimes it looks identical to the real shrimp. Has scared me before! Just an idea. . . otherwise not sure why he would have died. .
Old 01-18-2012, 03:13 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogopogo View Post
Everyone is doing fine, except for my cleaner shrimp found him on the bottom of the tank dead, I don't know if maybe he got to close to my pistol shrimps cage and got whacked.

if its not the molted shell then i would bet the pistol
Old 01-18-2012, 05:13 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

a new tank is a new tank......not stable enough for shrimp......I tell customers to wait at least a couple monthes before adding comensal shrimp....
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 01-18-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
a new tank is a new tank......not stable enough for shrimp......I tell customers to wait at least a couple monthes before adding comensal shrimp....
Sorry, But I didn't say its a new tank, Nothing is in the 55 gallon, its only been set up for a week, The nano has been running for over 2 years now. And no its not a molt he's done that a few times on me this was the full body, Guess the pistol finally got ****ed off at him, Have had the pistol for over a year and hasn't moved, My guess is the shrimp got a little to close to his home?
Old 01-18-2012, 05:42 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogopogo View Post
Sorry, But I didn't say its a new tank, Nothing is in the 55 gallon, its only been set up for a week, The nano has been running for over 2 years now. And no its not a molt he's done that a few times on me this was the full body, Guess the pistol finally got ****ed off at him, Have had the pistol for over a year and hasn't moved, My guess is the shrimp got a little to close to his home?

yup lots of vids on youtube of pistols taking out other shrimp.ive been lucky myelf as cleaners dont usually hang out that low in the sand but i guess if one enters the pistols crib then....game over
Old 01-18-2012, 01:56 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Sorry but the way your OP was worded led me to believe that you had moved stuff over to the big tank.... What percentage of the rock from the nano did you move?.... In a smaller tank removing any rock will put a dent in the tanks denitrifying capacity.... A swing from 0 (if that's where the tank was before you moved the rock) to ten could certainly be too much for the shrimp to handle
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 01-18-2012, 02:21 PM

I moved about 2-3 pounds of the ten pounds I had in the nano, With my plan being to eventually have everything moved over to the new tank. Nitrate's have stayed around 10ppm for the last 4-5 months or so, Can't keep it down, and when I moved out the rock(Was only crappy non-porus baserock, Left the good live rock in there until the fish are ready to move as well) The nitrates had, and have stayed the same since. Think i've decided it was the pistol who took him out, Now to decide weather to keep the pistol in the new tank or not when its ready...