Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-26-2018, 03:05 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road
Arrow Looking for Advice on Tank Transfer

Canreefers,

I’m looking for advice from people who have transferred their tank in to another system (fish, corals, inverts etc.). Any tips or tricks to reduce the amount of stress on the livestock and keep loss to a minimum. I will be moving my 150g in to a new 305g system once it is finished being built.

I plan on transferring as much of the water from my current tank in to the new one. I will be replacing the sandbed with new live Argonite sand from Carib Sea (don’t want to spend time washing the current sand bed). All the LR from the system will be transferred over as well. I have mini colonies on a lot of the LR that I am going to try not to break in the process. New SW will be added to make up the remaining water volume in the new system (hope it will be around no more then 50% WC).

I transferred my 75g in to the 150g once before and it went... well it went not so well. I lost majority of my corals and a bunch of my fish. I’m not sure if it was because the cloudy tank from the sand, the stress, the new rock or whatever else.

Looking for any tips that worked well in your experience. My wife and I are excited for the new system but are also dreading this transfer. Thanks for all the help!
Old 01-26-2018, 03:09 AM

Forgot to add... I have done a lot of searching and there is a lot of contradictions. If anyone can offfer a step by step that would be great! I understand it’s a lot of work to write up however it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:13 AM
Second Best

spit.fire is on a distinguished road

run bare bottom for awhile after the transfer and add sand later
Old 01-26-2018, 04:05 AM

AquaAddict is on a distinguished road

When I transferred my 100 gal to my 150 gallon, I added new sand right a way, then 2/3 pieces of my old rock and then waited for the tank to cycle. I then slowly added the rest of the rock a little at a time; then I added the hardiest corals; then the next hardiest, etc. I didn't have any fish because I had to stuff everything into a 65 gallon ex fresh water tank. I even had to put some of the rock into a rubbermade container with a light propped over top to keep it 'alive'. That's the rock that went first into the new tank.

AquaAddict
Old 01-26-2018, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spit.fire View Post
run bare bottom for awhile after the transfer and add sand later
I thought about doing that however my goby and pistols love the sand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAddict View Post
When I transferred my 100 gal to my 150 gallon, I added new sand right a way, then 2/3 pieces of my old rock and then waited for the tank to cycle. I then slowly added the rest of the rock a little at a time; then I added the hardiest corals; then the next hardiest, etc. I didn't have any fish because I had to stuff everything into a 65 gallon ex fresh water tank. I even had to put some of the rock into a rubbermade container with a light propped over top to keep it 'alive'. That's the rock that went first into the new tank.

AquaAddict
Thanks for your input. I’m really hoping that the transfer will be a large WC and not a cycle. I plan on buying a bunch of Rubbermaid’s to separate fish, LR, inverts etc. I will have heaters and a power head in each to try and make it feel less like a box.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:01 AM
Second Best

spit.fire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKoKoMan View Post
I thought about doing that however my goby and pistols love the sand!
put them in the jar with sand
Old 01-26-2018, 05:11 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Are you planning on this to be a 1 day event?
If so, I'd stay away from the planned live sand. It in itself will cause a cycle 'spike' that I'd not want to deal with. The 'dead matter' in the so-called 'live' sand will create ammonia that you do not want right now.
If you are able to store enough old Water Change water, I'd suggest you hang onto it all. The less 'new' saltwater you use the better.

If you're looking for some bacterial support during your transfer, put a large amount of filter material in your sump a month ahead of time.
If you don't have time for this, use Seachem Stability or something similar. And use LOTS of it.
Follow the bottle instructions, and make sure you aerate the water very well.
And I'm not kidding, you're going to use LOTS of it, so make sure you buy enough for at least a week.
Also, buy a Seachem Ammo ALERT Badge. This will be very helpful and may save you losing critters.
And finally, be prepared to perform very large water changes if ammonia gets too high. Or at the very least, buy some Am Guard or something similar and keep it close by. Check it every couple/few hours if you can. Ammonia can kill critters faster than I thought and I've lost enough to know better now.
Am Guard used in conjunction with the Ammo Alert is easy. Just don't over-do it. Follow the instructions.
And, as I already stated, be prepared to perform large water changes. 25-50% if needed.
Also, keep an eye on your Nitrites and Nitrates once you see Ammonia. You are going to have a cycle and must keep an eye on it !!!

Good luck !!
Old 01-26-2018, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spit.fire View Post
put them in the jar with sand
That’s an idea I never thought of

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Are you planning on this to be a 1 day event?
If so, I'd stay away from the planned live sand. It in itself will cause a cycle 'spike' that I'd not want to deal with. The 'dead matter' in the so-called 'live' sand will create ammonia that you do not want right now.
If you are able to store enough old Water Change water, I'd suggest you hang onto it all. The less 'new' saltwater you use the better.

If you're looking for some bacterial support during your transfer, put a large amount of filter material in your sump a month ahead of time.
If you don't have time for this, use Seachem Stability or something similar. And use LOTS of it.
Follow the bottle instructions, and make sure you aerate the water very well.
And I'm not kidding, you're going to use LOTS of it, so make sure you buy enough for at least a week.
Also, buy a Seachem Ammo ALERT Badge. This will be very helpful and may save you losing critters.
And finally, be prepared to perform very large water changes if ammonia gets too high. Or at the very least, buy some Am Guard or something similar and keep it close by. Check it every couple/few hours if you can. Ammonia can kill critters faster than I thought and I've lost enough to know better now.
Am Guard used in conjunction with the Ammo Alert is easy. Just don't over-do it. Follow the instructions.
And, as I already stated, be prepared to perform large water changes. 25-50% if needed.
Also, keep an eye on your Nitrites and Nitrates once you see Ammonia. You are going to have a cycle and must keep an eye on it !!!

Good luck !!
Thanks so much for the information gregzz. I will definitely pickup one of those ammonia badges to make it easy to see if ammonia is present and buy the liquid remover. As far as sand goes could I go with just dry sand considering my LR is well established? I would like to get it all done within the day and will have make up water available (saltwater). My plan is to get as much water as I can in to the new tank from my existing one. I will definitely test the parameters to ensure nothing is going out of whack. Thanks for all the little tips! Every little bit helps to reduce human error.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:27 AM

CHEAPREEF is on a distinguished road

I did my last tank transfer with running BB for about a month like Spite.Fire said. I just added in the sand over a few days after a month of BB. I never lost anything in the move.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:03 PM

Razor Ramon is on a distinguished road
Default Next to 0% loss!

I’m over 30 years into this .
The above is all valid. It’s realy up to the loss your willing to have.
All reefing needs to take its time and spend money on certain aspects.
Don’t dig into your system unti your tank is 100%

300 plus tank Put your sand of choice, mix your rodi salt water fresh and
100% new
Go and buy some chromies,damsels (evil devil fish)
High grad boacteria (your best friend)or as much as you require to run for a couple months.
The bacteria is all about out compeating bad bacteria in the cycling.
Your tank lights run low at first your sand will go trough all the regular
cycling diotoms, cyco ect . Treat for this as required eg. (chemeclean)
Then a slight algae bloom. Your getting close now. Do your water testing regularly.
When the tank is running all cycling is done your sand bed has been stable
For a at least a month plus.
Net the devil fish out put them in a holding tank and try a couple of your systems fish.
Give the devil fish back to the fish store see if they will give you a instore credit. Shouldn’t be a problem with the money we spend at these stores.
Put your rock and corals, and fishin in.I would add a lot of snales many different types, crabs very small blue legs not a lot (never trust a crab),emerald crabs are needed they fight but 300g lots of room.
Now your 150 is left empty with sand add racks for frags and this system is ready for your quarantine tank,put all new fish ,frags in there till all is good before adding to you high $$$ system?
Sorry I think there is no real quick way to do this with out loss.
These wet friends have long lives, I have clowns over 20 years now. Corals can out live us.
All we can do is our best. Learn from our mistakes and do what is proven.
In the end ,all systems are a ticking time bomb so many things that can fail or go sidways.
Take your time and it will be great !

Tags
coral, fish, stress