Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 10-17-2019, 03:41 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road
Question LF Opinions on ATO Units

Well it’s been just under a year and a half and my Neptune ATK V1 is pooched. Constant alarm and refusing to fill the return section. As of right now I’m using only the pump and plug go my in to top up morning and night. So pretty much filling up manually. Of course 1 year has is over so no warranty. I’m pretty disappointed as the cost do the Neptune ATK was pretty high for the overall value of the product.

Moving forward, I’m looking to replace the ATK with another ATO device capable of maintaining top up on my 300g system. Let me know what’s good, what is reliable and worth the money. I do not want have to dump $200 every year...
Old 10-17-2019, 03:49 AM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

I have had my tunze ATO for 4 years and not had a problem, knock on wood, I have a spare pump just in case.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger View Post
I have had my tunze ATO for 4 years and not had a problem, knock on wood, I have a spare pump just in case.
I’m kicking myself as I was going to go with the Tunze but jumped on the Neptune wagon... sigh. If I’m putting that money out again I think it will be the Tunze, don’t need anything fancy and my primary goal is reliability.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:50 PM

Piscez is on a distinguished road

I've used the JBJ for 7 years now, you can add whatever pump you want to the system and I did change the pump once, and just last week one of the float switches packed it in but a 7 year run I would say is pretty good in this business

Cheap too
Old 10-17-2019, 04:04 PM

Llorgon is on a distinguished road

I had trouble with my ATK as well. Worked fine for 6 months then would constantly fill. The problem was the high and low sensors were in the wrong spots. I have the steps they use for troubleshooting errors. Let me know if you would be interested in it.

I am using the Tunze osmolator 3155 right now. Only been using it for a couple weeks, but it seems to work well so far. It is much quieter than the ATK when pumping water I have found.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:53 PM

sleizure is on a distinguished road

Are you up for DIY job?

A couple float switches can be found on ali express and wired into a Neptune Breakout box (you can DIY that too!) along with a 24 volt solenoid (again, aliexpress) tied into the 24v port of the Apex for a rock solid ATO. I'm doing the exact thing - total cost in was $22 including building the breakout box. External links not allowed here but if you PM me I can send you a parts list.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:43 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

I've been using 3155s for over 7 years without issue. I've only ever had issues with 1 unit and the controller was swapped for a new one @ the place of purchase. Unit would freak out, even plugged into a surge protection circuit.
Replaced and problem went away.

I have 3 of these units and all are reliable as all get out. I keep a spare or 2 pumps around just in case. I got 5 years from a pump before deciding to replace it due to some noise, but it kept working right up until it was replaced.

In 7 years on 3 units I've only replaced 1 pump so far.

I do NOT use Kalk in my ATO - only RO, and never let my pumps run dry.

I installed a relay circuit to protect my pumps becoming dry.
Interested? Look HERE

Last edited by gregzz4; 10-18-2019 at 01:47 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:24 AM

Leaning toward the Tunze 3155 now! I bought 2 new sensors for the Neptune ATK and swapped out the old ones. Unit worked for 3 days and now doesn’t pump at all. Waste of money IMO... reliability and simplicity is all I need. Working shift work, often working later than expected, I need to know my return section has water.

Thanks for the feedback folks. Lots out on the market but like I said, longevity and reliability are my key.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:17 AM

GoombaBC is on a distinguished road

I use the Innovative Marine Ti Ato set up. Been bullet proof for me.
I like the magnetic dual low voltage sensors.
Basically a high/low setting.
You can use any pump as well but I opted for the matching IM Ti pump.

Tags
advice, ato, neptune, reef