Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-11-2011, 01:35 AM

Ced is on a distinguished road
Default Intank Skimmer (TUNZE 9021, 9020) or Set up sump and use a SWC 230 Skimmer?

Hello there,

I am new to this forum and actually joined because of my re-awakened interest/passion with my 180 gallon FOWLR and anemones tank. I am trying to decide with either using a TUNZE 9021 in the tank skimmer or setting up a sump and using a SWC 230 skimmer (about to come out on the market). The tank is on a metal stand (I wish it was a cabinet) in my living room with carpet floor. The tank is drilled with an overflow box with a 2" bulkhead sealing it right now. I am interested in installing a sump and researched them heavily, but I am concerned about NOISE, water damage, and Murphy's Law. I like the idea of a sump for the ability of using a larger skimmer (SWC 230, with 70scfh of air pulled versus TUNZE 9021 with about 48scfh of air), increasing total water volume of system, auto top up is easier to install, possible increase in equipment (biopellets reactor), and larger refugium. I also have a MAG 9.5 from my leaking peace of junk Berlin skimmer I am presently using on my 90 gal quarantine tank.

What I like about the in-tank skimmer idea is that there seems to be less chance of something to go wrong with overflowing water, less NOISE from water entering and exiting the sump (even when using a Stockman's Standpipe), and easier to install (I would half to set up sump with existing 65 gallon spare tank, and do the piping). I was thinking I could install a small refugium in the existing overflow box in the corner.

I have been going back and fourth between these two options and was wondering what others thought about which way they would go. The noise with the sump is a concern since I do not have a cabinet (I know I could put wood around the stand, but knowing myself, it would take forever, and look pretty ugly). Will the TUNZE 9021 handle a fish only tank?

Thank you for your input ahead of time!

Last edited by Ced; 01-11-2011 at 02:58 AM. Reason: wrong title

Tags
180 gal tank, noise, sump, swc, tunze