Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-02-2015, 05:20 PM

rishu_pepper is on a distinguished road
Default Who uses Fozdown?

Saw the product at the swap on Saturday, was intrigued. Who uses this product regularly as PO4 remover? What are your experiences with it?

I'm setting up my new tank, have been using RowaPhos in my last tank. Will likely finish off the bottle then move onto GFO. But this may be a simpler and less expensive option, if it's efficient? What do you guys think?

Brian
Old 03-02-2015, 05:25 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

I use foz down and it's a amazing product. I only use it if I see a rise in po4 but still use rowa to maintain po4 levels. Fozdown will floc alk out of water also so be ready to test and adjust as needed
Old 03-02-2015, 05:39 PM

rishu_pepper is on a distinguished road

I had to look up the word "floc"... lol

Thanks for the insight. Maybe I should have grabbed a bottle.

Brian
Old 03-02-2015, 05:49 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus
Fozdown will floc alk out of water also so be ready to test and adjust as needed
Since I produce and use Foz Down I thought I would reply as well.

Foz Down is based on a chloride salt. Even Calcium chloride will also cause alk to floc out of water if you add too much at once and the concentration is too high. Similar effect to Foz Down. This is why I recommend that the best way to use Foz Down is in an ATO freshwater reservoir. That way it gets diluted and dosed slowly and will not cause any alk issues. I have not noticed any alk issues with the multiple systems I use it on. These are dosed by using a pump channel on a GHL doser and spread throughout the day. Hope that info helps. I no longer use any GFO at all.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 03-02-2015, 05:51 PM

Reeferluke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
I use foz down and it's a amazing product. I only use it if I see a rise in po4 but still use rowa to maintain po4 levels. Fozdown will floc alk out of water also so be ready to test and adjust as needed
+1. It's a great product
Old 03-02-2015, 05:52 PM

Thanks Tim..
I would imagine if it's dosed on a schedule than your ca reactor or dosing pump would make up for any all that may be flowed out..

BTW. Great product
Old 03-02-2015, 05:53 PM

straightrazorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to straightrazorguy

I honestly don't understand why people use fozdown. Is it for extreme cases (after a period of neglect)? It's not a permanent solution, is it? That's what GFO is for. And if you're dealing with high phosphates why would you want to bring them down quickly? Don't corals hate sudden changes anyway? Can somebody explain this to me?
Old 03-02-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightrazorguy View Post
I honestly don't understand why people use fozdown. Is it for extreme cases (after a period of neglect)? It's not a permanent solution, is it? That's what GFO is for. And if you're dealing with high phosphates why would you want to bring them down quickly? Don't corals hate sudden changes anyway? Can somebody explain this to me?
If on a doser as Tim does it is a permanent solution. One drop will remove 0.04 per 10 gallons iirc. So as long as bioload remains the same it's easy to calculate a daily dosage
Old 03-02-2015, 06:02 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus
Thanks Tim..
I would imagine if it's dosed on a schedule than your ca reactor or dosing pump would make up for any all that may be flowed out..

BTW. Great product
Thanks.

The Foz Down has a great affinity for Phosphate in the water. This is it's first preference. Once all the Phosphate is bound to it it will start on alk. This is why it's important to dose it diluted and throughout the day. Dosing pump or ATO pump is the best way. To answer your question, yes, but if it's dosed slowly and diluted there is almost no effect on Alk or clouding of the water, none that I have seen or measured anyways.

I used it for years and figured it would benefit the hobbyists if I offered it. Most products I sell are things that I first used and had great success with. The Pacifica Plankton is another of the products that I used and then started to sell. I have had fish(Longfin sleeper goby and Green Damsel) lay eggs in my holding systems by just being fattened up on the Pacifica Plankton.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 03-02-2015, 06:05 PM

straightrazorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to straightrazorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
If on a doser as Tim does it is a permanent solution. One drop will remove 0.04 per 10 gallons iirc. So as long as bioload remains the same it's easy to calculate a daily dosage
Ooops, my bad. I should've read Tim's post in detail. OK, so what does this chloride salt do to phosphates? Does it bind to them and precipitate them? Is that a long-term solution? Does that happen to both organic and inorganic phosphates? Is there a possibility that at a future date, under the right coditions these phosphates reverse to their previous condition and pollute the tank? I guess I like the idea that with GFO you throw away the phosphates when you change out the media.

I apologie if this was discussed before. Chemistry was never my thing.