Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 09:59 PM

Aqua-Digital is on a distinguished road

This is Ecotechs policy not ours, they do not supply us with G1 to G3 kits. I do understand the reasons though. The G1 had many variants and needs multiple parts, so for them to know what it needs for us to send you the parts without seeing it is very hard.

The upgrade option is there so it is feasible and easy, the unit just needs to go back to Ecotech. (which of course to some is not feasable or easy)

I could look into a rental program to get people by but then that just adds to the cost of getting the lamp upgraded.

Last edited by Aqua-Digital; 01-13-2015 at 02:25 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:14 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Digital View Post
This is Ecotechs policy not ours, they do not supply us with G1 to G3 kits, if they did I would be more than willing to help.

I did ask Ecotech again recently and it was the same response. I do understand the reasons though. The G1 had many variants and needs multiple parts, so for them to know what it needs for us to send you the parts without seeing it is very hard.

The upgrade option is there so it is feasible and easy, the unit just needs to go back to Ecotech. (which of course to some is not feasable or easy)

I could look into a rental program to get people by but then that just adds to the cost of getting the lamp upgraded.
Yup, that is what I was told before. But it does not support your narrative of providing full support for Ecotech, and why you chose to only deal with premium manufacturers and suppliers. In light of that, perhaps you should tone down your promotion of some of these suppliers. Paying more does not always mean getting better service and support.

I can say that without hesitation, because even with my cheap Jebao, I was able to quickly get a replacement when I had a problem. Heck, even with the hated brand Coralife I got a quick replacement on a pump without having to even pay shipping. These are certainly a lot cheaper brands, but I don't seem to be getting any less service and support from them.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:18 PM

I personally think Ecotech offer the best support out of all brands.

I will make contact for you tomorrow i will see if we can find a solution, send me your serial number.

Last edited by Aqua-Digital; 01-13-2015 at 02:00 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
I will try again for you tomorrow i will see if we can find a solution, send me your serial number.
OK, I have 4 of the Gen 1s, although only wanted to upgrade 3 of them. I will have to look up the serial numbers and will send you a PM. I know they are big long numbers, so hope I don't make a mistake copying them.

Don't know what the current cost is either, as I know the loonie has dropped a lot since I last wanted to do this. So that will factor into my final decision as well.

As for rental, there has to be a better way. Last year I had to replace a starter that had failed on my airplane. The vendor sent me out a new one even before I was able to remove the old one and send it back in for repairs. They respected that summer was prime flying time for me (floatplane) and did their best to minimize my downtime. All they asked I first pay for it by credit card (by phone), and they refunded it when they received the old one.

So why can't Ecotech, or you, do something similar. I would pay for the new ones, and you would send out the new Gen 3's. When you received my old Gen 1's you could refund the appropriate difference. I could live with that. And my tanks would never be without lights. And oh, it is a big deal doing this all within Canada, too. That way I don't lose on the extra exchange rates both ways when dealing with credit cards and US transactions, over and above the bank exchange rates.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:45 PM

There is a lot of legs in what you are saying, the only way we could do it is to ask Ecotech to supply us some ex demos and then the end user would pay for them until received back in working order then refunded. Of course ex any shipping costs.

We could never do it without payment as protection as I 100% guarantee at some point the units would walk! Nature of the beast sadly.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
There is a lot of legs in what you are saying, the only way we could do it is to ask Ecotech to supply us some ex demos and then the end user would pay for them until received back in working order then refunded. Of course ex any shipping costs.

We could never do it without payment as protection as I 100% guarantee at some point the units would walk! Nature of the beast sadly.
Don't you have an inventory of these that you send out to retailers based on their inventory replenishment needs? Or do you just drop ship them the inventory directly from the manufacturer?

And yes, no problem paying up front, as long as I get full refund for the difference. And like I said, don't want to have to deal with US exchange on my credit cards.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:59 PM

We have a mass of retail stock at all times, but demos are supplied on request as most dealers now have what they need. Nothing gets drop shipped from manufacturers we deal with.

Leave it with me I got your PM so I have all the info I need from here.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:29 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

I'm a little late here, but to answer Walter's question, the idea of jebao granting exclusivity is a joke. Jebao's business plan doesn't include any form of relationship building with its dealers. No amount of massaging is going to change that.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_dao View Post
I'm a little late here, but to answer Walter's question, the idea of jebao granting exclusivity is a joke. Jebao's business plan doesn't include any form of relationship building with its dealers. No amount of massaging is going to change that.
I am not advocating exclusivity. I think that was AD's desire. I was just saying you can't ask for that, unless you at least have a foot in the door with selling their product.

I guess it comes down to volumes. If a distributor can get better pricing due to volumes, then it can be a benefit to the consumer as well. But our new world of online retailing (even all the way from China) makes it harder and harder to compete given the volumes they can sell directly.

I think this Alibaba Express is really going to have an impact, and it is just starting in Canada and North America. And BTW, BABA might be a good stock to hold, too. I think they are now already bigger than eBay and Amazon combined with e-Commerce. And they just went public a couple months ago...
Old 01-13-2015, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
I am not advocating exclusivity. I think that was AD's desire. I was just saying you can't ask for that, unless you at least have a foot in the door with selling their product.
This in theory makes sense, however for a distributor to get a product going in a territory costs a lot of investment, not having rights to it can be a costly exercise when they find tom dick and basement Bob selling it at some crazy margin. So we NOW only touch stuff we have some level of rights to. This business is way to cut throat to have anything else.

Some lines we do share but these are long standing arrangements where typically there are silent agreements and manufacturers bind us to selling levels.
Closed Thread