Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-09-2005, 06:18 AM

Chin_Lee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chin_Lee
Default A Homemade Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Additive System

Is there anybody using this homemade solution as written by RANDY HOLMES-FARLEY?
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...l2004/chem.htm

I have a 50 lb bag of the DowFlake 77-80% Calcium Chloride in my garage right now and would like to use it if possible.
Anybody with any personal experience with the homemade solution?
Or is there any input from the more experienced?
Old 01-09-2005, 06:22 AM

BrainVat is on a distinguished road

I haven't used it, but many do and it works quite well. Calcium chloride is exactly the same stuff you find in many two-part additives.

Out of curiosity, where did you get the DowFlake? I use limewater right now and I'd like to be able to add more calcium without affecting my pH.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:28 AM

Default dow flake

i got it from a Pool and spa place in Surrey. Coast Pool & Spa on Fraser Hwy just east of 160th street in Surrey. it was about 25 bucks for 50 lb bag (if i recall correctly) check at your local pool & spa place. some hardware places will sell it as ice melter for sidewalks.... good time to go take a look or shortly after the snow fall stops.
cwlee
Old 01-09-2005, 06:43 AM

Bryan is on a distinguished road

I use the two part and it works great. I use it to supplement my calcium reactor. I didn't bother with the Dow flake but use Kent turbo calcium. Costs more but it more readily available.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Dow flake vs Kent Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan
I use the two part and it works great. I use it to supplement my calcium reactor. I didn't bother with the Dow flake but use Kent turbo calcium. Costs more but it more readily available.
Bryan
thanks for your input.
If you ever want me to pick you up a bag, let me know... i only live 5 minutes away from that pool n spa place. Looking at the price comparison, its only 25 bucks for 22.5 kg as oppose to 22 bucks for 800 grams at JL's; thats a siginificant price difference regardless how inconvenient. You will be paying for 28 canisters of 800 gram Kent Turbo ($621.50 plus taxes) for one bag of Dow Flake ($25 plus tax)
Old 01-12-2005, 06:28 AM

Bryan is on a distinguished road

Thanks, but a 500g container of Kent even though expensive it lasts me a long long time. I only use the two part when I do large water changes to bring up the cal/alk to my desired levels. My calcium reactor generally keeps things in check.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:36 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

I use the 6:1 ratio of washing to baking sodas regularly to raise ALK in my tank. Since using it my corals have definately grown faster and healthier.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 01-12-2005, 05:55 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

I have been doing 2-part supplements occasionally in additon to a kalk auto-topoff.

So far I used a commercial (aquarium brand) Calcium chloride but now I found CaCl2 online at Canadian tire sold as an ice melt, I will try to get some.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:13 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus
Default Re: reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny zubot
I use the 6:1 ratio of washing to baking sodas regularly to raise ALK in my tank. Since using it my corals have definately grown faster and healthier.
Danny what do you use for washing soda? Everytime I look at a package of Arm & Hammer, it has this zesty lemony scent which I'm sure is some kind of additive. Or do you do the "make your own" trick by baking some baking soda in the oven?
Old 01-13-2005, 12:15 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny zubot
Danny what do you use for washing soda? Everytime I look at a package of Arm & Hammer, it has this zesty lemony scent which I'm sure is some kind of additive. Or do you do the "make your own" trick by baking some baking soda in the oven?
super store here has some 99.8% pure washing soda.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.