Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 05-28-2011, 03:41 PM

mark is on a distinguished road
Default how many to pour a sidewalk

seems at least 14 going by the number of vehicles that showed up

Do find the process entertaining.

First had the equipment taking off the soil, they go away, another crew comes back and contours they go. The hoes come in they do the sewer lines, backfill and go. Oh, lets dig it up again for the water. These guys for the side walk, then after they leave someone else to back to pave. If as the other areas, still will have 3 more separate crews (gas, power, comm). Not finished yet, need to cut the new pavement for the manholes, wait no fire hydrants or street lights. Can't forget to get the concrete guys back to redo the sidewalks at the corners for ramps. Once the houses start, more digging to bring the utilities from the curb.

Understanding the $150K for a vacant lot
Old 05-28-2011, 03:46 PM

Magma is on a distinguished road

Looks and sounds like a typical construction job to me, and if its union of course you need 3 or 4 crews because you cant go taking away work from someone else.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Yup, union work. One person can't do anybody else's duty. Each person's job is very narrowly defined & you'll get in trouble if you do more.

In Powell River, they once had to shut down a section of the local pulp mill because of screw was loose and the guy whose job it was to tighten screws on that piece of machinery couldn't get to it for a couple of days, so they had 30+ guys being paid union wages to sit around and sun tan for 2 days until the designated guy tightened the screw on "his" machine.

Then they complained when the pulp mill shut down because the owners were losing too much money and the mill was the most inefficient in their company.

Hmmmm.

Union jobs are great for people who have them (better wages, more bargaining power, more benefits), but are sometimes very inefficient. Not all situations are as bad as these two examples though. I've known several unions and union workers who worked as hard or harder than their non-union counterparts (who are more easily fired if they don't work hard).
Old 05-28-2011, 06:34 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Union people working on what looks like a residential lot and nearly all of them are diving white vehicles? They must be a city crew. I remember watching the city pour a sidewalk across the street from us last summer after they tore it out to access some utilities. From start to finish I think it took 5 months.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 05-28-2011, 08:15 PM

Edmonton newbie is on a distinguished road

careful bashing the unions boys lol i work union and would invite any one of you to come and try scaffolding for a living. Its is nice not having to worry about begging for a raise or fearing for your job everyday but on the other hand if you dont work you just dont get hired for the next job
Old 05-28-2011, 08:23 PM

marks69 is on a distinguished road

i was just doing a scaffold job in ontario and esso. we never sat around or screwed the pooch like that. however when i working hydro it looked like a pumpkin patch, 1 guy working and 10 labourers watching me. can't fire them they have senority. i'm a union carpenter and don't sit around, however some people do.
and the wage sounds great till you get layed off for 6 months.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:50 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Not many companys that build houses or contracted to do commercial housing work are union, probably have city surveyors, utility company, etc. out at the same time. A housing company would go broke very fast if they used that many people to do everything.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:41 AM

Samw is on a distinguished road

I hope there won't be a postal strike. It's a good thing my 3 orders with Amazon this week is via UPS.

Last edited by Samw; 06-03-2011 at 04:44 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:22 PM

chopperman is on a distinguished road

Im a union Elevator Constructor. I can imagine next time someone is in a Hi-rise elevator that they would expect that the car is installed and maintained by highly qualified techs to be the safest transportation for the public. Not by under paid, overworked and non qualified people. Ive seen first hand the quality control being implemented by the non union sector of my trade. There are buildings in Calgary I wouldnt even ride. Being stuck in elevators sucks. Unions provide not only good wages for its members but they also provide good pensions and welfare programs. I know this post isnt to bash unions, but there is benifits of being a union member. I.U.E.C Local 130 Calgary AB
Old 06-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the point here is more that there is of course major benefits to being in a union...just not for those who pay for them.

like tax payers in many cases.

Unions are an antiquated aspect of civilization from a time before there was sufficient human rights advocacy.

They are outdated in todays competetive market place and a HUGE reason why the US cant keep their massive debt in check.

That being said, given an opportunity, I would love to be part of a union.
It's stressfull being employed purely on skill and work ethic in a competitive market place.

I cant even imagine what "seniority" feels like....lol