Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 03-05-2012, 02:15 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
If you have a Profilux the sols seem like the logical choice. Profilux control for the AI should do everything the Radion does unless I'm not aware of something. If you're looking for intergration with your vortechs, get the profilux vortech control module. If you're looking for red/green add profilux sim LEDs. Looking for better spread, consider the sol 70/70 optic version so all optics are 70 degree.
If you have a profilux.......if you dont then you need the profilux $500, you need the ai control module $100(just guessing), you need the vortech control module $285, you need the red/green sim leds$200 and then the AI soll at $400.....for a grand total of 1500 to do what a radion does.....even if you already have the profilux unit itself then thats about $600 worth of add on goodies you will need......

if your a tech junkie then you might find this appealing .....I have my radion programmed to do this.....orange sunrise in the AM (just a lipstick do nothing feature, but it looks cool) ....then the light slowly ramps up in intensity to somewhere between 6700k and 10000k into the middle of the afternoon (really ugly yellow looking grow the bejeebers out of your coral spectrum.... but hey I dont care cuz Im at work)....then I have the spectrum slowly change from 10000k to close to 20000k from the late afternoon to the late evening (for when Im home looking at the tank)....then it goes to 22000k briefly and then dims down to 2% through the night for moonlight effect.......I get the best of all spectrums...... do that with an AI.......if the SOLs where the shizz then why is an upgraded AI unit comparable to the radion in the works???......lets not forget about the wireless connectivity between the units, wireless communication with the vortech pumps, soon to be Mac compatible, the ability to program the unit from your PC with a nice big screen and spectral graphs, soon to be wireless programing from your PC.....I could go on but.........

Its kinda like skimmers......you can get by quite nicely with a vertex or reef octopus, but what you really want is the Bubble King
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 03-05-2012, 02:20 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
Its kinda like skimmers......you can get by quite nicely with a vertex or reef octopus, but what you really want is the Bubble King
No, never wanted one of those

For me, I have an Apex, so controller is taken care of (I think the IAI unit is 129??). The AI allow for pretty much what you describe, minus the lipstick. I'm not home then either, so won't miss it. I don't use vortech, so wireless isn't useful.
I suppose for a tech junkie the Radion is a great light. Sorry, it's a great light anyway, I've seen them in action, I just can't afford them. The AIs look to be close enough for my needs and I can't afford them either, but might, one day :P
Old 03-05-2012, 02:26 AM

cuz is on a distinguished road

The bells and whistles are sweet, but right now I don't loose sleep about being unable to program my halides..

Mostly my issue is the cost as well....8 radions vs 10 AI's.....If it came down to solid coral growing facts I could justify the extra cash but otherwise its a hard bill to swallow..
Old 03-05-2012, 02:30 AM
Banned

unclesalty is on a distinguished road

I have owned both fixtures at the same time and I also own a par meter and a power meter. IMO Radion is a far superior light in every way possible except the AI par is a wee bit better. The AI has been around for a couple years and is old school in comparison to the Radion. You will need almost 2 AI fixtures to 1 Radion fixture so Radion is a better buy. The new AI Vega fixture might compare with the Radion when its released but not current AI model. Before you buy do your research and you will find out what the better fixture is. If someone tells you the AI is a better fixture tell them to put down the crack pipe!
Old 03-05-2012, 02:33 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
If you have a profilux.......if you dont then you need the profilux $500, you need the ai control module $100(just guessing), you need the vortech control module $285, you need the red/green sim leds$200 and then the AI soll at $400.....for a grand total of 1500 to do what a radion does.....even if you already have the profilux unit itself then thats about $600 worth of add on goodies you will need......

if your a tech junkie then you might find this appealing .....I have my radion programmed to do this.....orange sunrise in the AM (just a lipstick do nothing feature, but it looks cool) ....then the light slowly ramps up in intensity to somewhere between 6700k and 10000k into the middle of the afternoon (really ugly yellow looking grow the bejeebers out of your coral spectrum.... but hey I dont care cuz Im at work)....then I have the spectrum slowly change from 10000k to close to 20000k from the late afternoon to the late evening (for when Im home looking at the tank)....then it goes to 22000k briefly and then dims down to 2% through the night for moonlight effect.......I get the best of all spectrums...... do that with an AI.......if the SOLs where the shizz then why is an upgraded AI unit comparable to the radion in the works???......lets not forget about the wireless connectivity between the units, wireless communication with the vortech pumps, soon to be Mac compatible, the ability to program the unit from your PC with a nice big screen and spectral graphs, soon to be wireless programing from your PC.....I could go on but.........

OP has a Profilux hence my comment, for AI connection you just need an inexpensive cable not module. The other things are just options but with the AI starting at half the price makes buying such things easier and there purpose goes far beyond just matching a Radion.

And btw the Radion is not the BK of LEDs, it's the vortech of LEDs with comparable models like Tunze with what's better only coming down to personal preference. BKs are timeless, Radions will be obsolete in less than a year.

Last edited by sphelps; 03-05-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:34 AM

tim the toolman is on a distinguished road

http://www.h2oplusomething.com/index...ment&Itemid=64
Why do these tests state otherwise?
Old 03-05-2012, 02:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim the toolman View Post
http://www.h2oplusomething.com/index...ment&Itemid=64
Why do these tests state otherwise?
Myself I will take nicer colour spectrum for a bit less par but each to there own. Have you checked out the thread on RC where people were complaining about the poor AI colour spectrum?
Old 03-05-2012, 02:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
OP has a Profilux hence my comment, for AI connection you just need an inexpensive cable not module. The other things are just options but with the AI starting at half the price makes buying such things easier and there purpose goes far beyond just matching a Radion.

And btw the Radion is not the BK of LEDs, it's the vortech of LEDs with comparable models like Tunze with what's better only coming down to personal preference. BKs are timeless, Radions will be obsolete in less than a year.
My guess is the AI Vegas will soon be the best fixture out there very soon!
Old 03-05-2012, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesalty View Post
Myself I will take nicer colour spectrum for a bit less par but each to there own. Have you checked out the thread on RC where people were complaining about the poor AI colour spectrum?
I agree that after playing around with LED colors the red and green are key to reduce the need to run the whites as high which drown out color. But I just don't see the value of paying twice as much for $50 worth of parts. It does however come down to what you have already for controllers and what you're willing to do or sacrifice. For straight out of the box the Radion has value for sure but each person will have to decide if that's the case for them personally.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesalty View Post
My guess is the AI Vegas will soon be the best fixture out there very soon!
Perhaps, problem is with these damn LEDs is the next fixture is always around the corner and likely the next best thing. The problem I have with the Vega is that is looks to make the sol obsolete, not likely to see much more for upgrade kits.