Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-03-2008, 09:40 PM

sharuq1 is on a distinguished road
Question Plumbing--need your help

Ok, so I made a couple crappy diagrams of what I could use to do the plumbing. Please tell me if it would work, or why it wouldn't and what would work. I am not going to be drilling any more holes in the tank or adding an overflow box.

Edit: bahhhhh I guess I am making an overflow box

It is just the tank with 2 holes (one is higher than the other, not sure why). What size pipes should I be using? I have a couple 1" ball valves at home...I think they are one inch anyway... I believe the bulkheads are also one inch, but cannot find the measuring tape, lol. For the sump pump we have an oceanrunner 3500
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tankdia1.jpg (20.1 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg tankdia2.jpg (19.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 120g with holes.jpg (23.4 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by sharuq1; 06-05-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:42 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

The blue lines are your overflow lines? Ok, it's not going to work (sorry). You need to add an overflow box over the holes.

Problem #1 - in a power failure, water will drain to the lowest point - the lower of the two holes. That's a lot of water volume draining into your sump - unless your sump has enough "empty capacity" it will spill onto your floor.

Problem #2 - you'll never get water level control in the main tank. Ie., you'll likely only get a couple inches at best of water pushing above the holes. You probably want water up near the top of the tank.

My suggestion - get some glass pieces cut and silicone them in over the holes to make internal overflow boxes. Here's what I mean (this is the tank journal thread of my 65G FW tank, it shows the overflow box idea that I'm suggesting might work well for you. The glass cost was minimal - something like $15 IIRC):
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28505
Old 06-04-2008, 01:10 AM

Well I was thinking of having upturned pipes to take care of that problem so it would just skim the surface of the water, like the tanks at Golds. would it work then?
Old 06-04-2008, 02:53 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

Oh. ... Yeah Ok that will work fine then..
Old 06-04-2008, 03:00 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Depends on the amount of return flow but I'd be concerned about noise with just an upturned pipe (again flow, but wondering if a Herbie would work with two upturned pipes one just a little higher than the other?).

Horizontal drains seem interesting also.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:08 AM

That's true about the noise. I have a tank with just a standpipe and it gurgles. That's why I suggested the overflow box. The horizontal drain idea looks pretty neat, thanks for the link.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:39 AM

We don't really spend much time in the living room, so noise isn't a huge issue. I would like it as quiet as I can get it, but a bit of noise is ok. A huge flushing gurgle all the time...not so ok, lol.

Sooo...looks like my idea for the upturned pipe deals might work. Would I be better off doing it like in #1 or #2? I know the advantage of having two lines incase one gets clogged, but it is simpler to do just the one. Opinions?

Does anyone know how they managed to get the upturned pipe overflows at Golds as quiet as they are? Just adjusting or bigger pipes or...??

Having seen your post Tony I will consider the overflow idea. I am just scared to do that sort of thing. I also considered the horizontal overflow prior to this but decided it was just too fugly for the living room, despite being a good idea.

Anyone else have any comments on how I should change it to make it better? Please say so
Old 06-04-2008, 05:37 AM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

I would avoid ball valves on the return lines, you don't want to be restricting that flow at all.

I would also recommend some sort of glass overflow, do you remember how mine was set-up? You could do something like that and not lose a whole lot of real estate using the lower hole as the primary drain and the upper hole as a safety. It will look better and be a little more functional.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:51 PM

What if I were to make a coast to coast inner overflow that is 2.5" across by 48". Then, because the holes are at different heights, divide it with a piece of glass down the middle, essentially making it into two overflows with the look of one?

Also the ball valves I was thinking of to put on there were mainly if I wanted to turn it all off for whatever reason.

I was thinking of teeing in a valve to one of the outputs that goes "nowhere" in case in the future I want to plug another tank into the system on the bottom (like an extra refugium or something?). Or would I be better off teeing that to the return pump instead just in case I don't put it on the bottom?

Does anyone know where I could find some flatter strainers to fit over the bulkheads to keep snails etc. from getting in?
Old 06-04-2008, 11:10 PM

Scale is out of whack as I have not measured anything. I am thinking no elbows in the tank, just the bulkheads. 2.5" from the back of the tank to the front of the "box", then have the box placed just under the lowest bulkhead, and divide the thing in half so that water will be able to get to the high hole. The braces can go in the box under water level (maybe half inch to an inch) The braces being there should strengthen it and alow me a ledge so I can lay a piece of eggcrate over top and not need strainers (I hope). (braces on outer edges of the box are missing in the picture as I am not so good with google sketchup)

I am thinking of plumbing it with external dursos like Dephinus has in his fw tank.

Thoughts?