Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-30-2005, 02:12 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Marine Fish and Reef Magazine 2005 profiles the manderine and it's feeding habits. You can pick up this mag at petcetera and other LFS, really is a good read. It mensions that manderines like to hunt for food at dawn and dusk, if yours is sluggish during the day it could be a sign that it feeds well at night, and doesn't need any further food during the day. It also mensions that they will accept small prepared foods such as mysis and cyclopeze etc. After reading the article I agree that the jar method might work, not because the fish will eat the food though. I think the food will attract the various pods and worms the manderin eats into the jar, where the fish can eat buffet style. I would put the food in the jar, and then place the jar mouth right up to the rocks with only an opening large enough for the manderin to get into.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 06-30-2005, 06:37 PM

Vagabond is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, much appreciated.

I wouldn't be so confused by his behavior if I just got him, but I have had him for over 8 months and from day one he ate Mysis like a pig. It is his sudden lack of appetite that concerns me and his shy behavior where before he had been very outgoing.

I usually feed him with a 3/4" clear piece of aquarium tubing. Until a few days ago as soon as the tube went into the water he would rush over waiting for his meal to descend upon him. It was even to the point where he would swim up the tube and dine. Now, when I put the feeding tube in the water he just swims away from it.

The jar method sounds like a great idea, however, my 2 cleaner shrimp and my peppermint shrimp would quickly find there way to the trough and bully the Mandarin out of the way. As it stands now the only thing keeping them away from the tube when I feed are my 2 clowns, whom also feed from the tube and protect it from the intruding shrimp (Quite comical actually, as the clowns will charge them or when they get the chance grab the shrimp by the tail and shake them until they run for cover).
Old 06-30-2005, 08:29 PM

TrailFish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The jar method sounds like a great idea, however, my 2 cleaner shrimp and my peppermint shrimp would quickly find there way to the trough and bully the Mandarin out of the way. As it stands now the only thing keeping them away from the tube when I feed are my 2 clowns, whom also feed from the tube and protect it from the intruding shrimp (Quite comical actually, as the clowns will charge them or when they get the chance grab the shrimp by the tail and shake them until they run for cover).
Now that I would like to see!
Old 06-30-2005, 10:07 PM

megatron_55 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by forde_11
Here is the article that descrides that way of feeding if it is an issue of him not being able to eat, check it out http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...nftt/index.htm I hope he recovers for you.
cool dude but what kind of pellets are those?? . . . (are they for mandarins or just any pellets) . . . Let me know!! I just bought my mandarin . . . oh and a small bottle
Old 07-06-2005, 06:16 AM

Vagabond is on a distinguished road

Well my Mandarin did not make it.

I found him this evening when I got home. He was so healthy and lively for over 8 months then less than a week... gone.

A sad day he was my favorite fish.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:33 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Sorry to hear about your loss. It's strange that those little guys do so well for so long and then all of the sudden they stop eating. I lost mine after I moved and my pod population died off. He ate mysis before too, but I guess the stress was enough to turn off his appitite.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041