Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-18-2008, 03:52 AM

Skimmin is on a distinguished road
Default Distilled water

I live out of the city and for the last year and a half of my saltwater endeavor, I've been hauling water from work in 5 gal pails. I have well water and there is a tds of 2700ppm. I recently purchased a distiller and I find that even with a carbon filter on the output of the distiller I still end up with a tds of approx 40. I've been thinking that maybe I'll try running a di cartridge in place of the carbon filter. I wonder if these final 40ppm of tds is something to be concerned with? Should I do some extra water parameter testing of some sort?
300 Gal 6x3x28 high Starphire peninsula w/external herbie/bean animal hybrid +150 Gal custom sump with 30gal fuge section, (both built by Concept Aquariums Calgary), 3x Ecotech Radion xr30w g2's(soon to be G3 Pros), Jebao DCT 12000 return pump, 2x Jebao RW 20 powerheads, Tunze Ato, Vertex ro/di, Reef Octopus Ext 200 skimmer run internally.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:44 AM

TNTCanada is on a distinguished road

Have you thought about a RO unit?
72g Bowfront Drilled,Lighting,2x250 10,000k MH,2 actinic T5,2/6" fans,2MJ with 1600gph convertions kits,Bullet 2 style skimmer with Mak 4,29g sump/Refugium,96W power compacts in sump, Velocity T4 Titanium "return",Life Guard 300 Fluidize bed filter,1"sand bed, 29g auto top off, 140lb LR,SPS,LPS,Softies,Zoos,2Percula Clowns, 2yellow tail Damsels,1yellow tang,2cleaner shrimp, 1six line Wrass,2 Bengaii Cardinal,1lawnmower Blenny,1sand sifting star,1TigerTailCucumber, snails,hermit crabs,Macros.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:26 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Lot's of people use tap water with a higher TDS then 40 and the water you were hauling from your work, was that run through a ro/di?
Old 02-18-2008, 05:45 AM

fencer is on a distinguished road

1. Water run through distillation units sometimes have very low oxygen levels
2. TDS is corrected by two stage filters that polish the water and a DI unit to finish...Carbon eliminates colour and odour
3. Correct me if I am wrong Carbon filter, Coarse filter, fine filter, Distiller, DI filter in this order