Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 06-25-2009, 02:04 AM

fishguyxd is on a distinguished road
Default pre occupancy home inspection

I am doing one very soon on a new home (was showhome) and I want to know is there any special questions or things I should look at or for. other than example making sure doors,windows work, kitchen cupboards etc all there I know this sounds goofy but I have not had to do this before.

any suggestion please and thanks
Old 06-25-2009, 02:08 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Can hire outfits that do home inspections, few hundred bucks.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:12 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

+1 on hiring an inspector. They cover things you may never have thought of and provide you with a written report. The one I used when I last moved provided a nice binder with all kinds of goodies in addition to the actual inspection data. I think the trade is regulated in most provinces by now, but check to make sure you get a reputable inspector. Real Estate agents will often provide good advice in that regard, they use them all the time. You may even recoup the cost of the inspector if he/she finds something needing improvement. That will help you negotiate with regard to the price of the home.

Last edited by mike31154; 06-25-2009 at 02:16 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:23 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

if you hire a home inspector, make sure you get a good one. also don't assume they are going to look for cosmetic things as they may or maynot.

you should do your own as well, looking at base boards, window and door casings for gaps or dammage, also look at kitchen cabnets, counter tops, light fixtures, paint on the walls ect... this is your time to be able to say I want this fixed or that touched up. I know it is hard as I did this a month ago, but be pickey with the cosmetic stuff as realy it is only going to cost them some ones hourly wage to fix it up. as for bigger stuff... hopefuly you got a good home inspector.

I was told by the one the buyers of my house hired that one of the things to look for in one is that they use a web/computer generated report. you get pictures and it also means they have spent the money to give you a comprehensive report instead of just a tick in the box list.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:30 AM

Skimmin is on a distinguished road

HIRE TRADESMEN TO INSPECT YOUR HOME! It'll probably cost you more but you'll have a much better understanding of what to expect when you move in. Hire the right guy for your plumbing and heating system (plumber and a sheet metal worker. Also some plumbers work on heating systems as well) Hire an electrician to check the electrical, and a carpenter for structural and roofing etc... I just can't stress enough that many home inspectors training involve a course that 'certifies' them, but very few can be held responsible or liable if they miss something, so it'll cost you! Being a service plumber/gas fitter myself I've seen A LOT of people have problems with these inspections, and nothing makes me feel worse than seeing a proud new home owner have to spend hundreds, if not thousands due to someones lack of experience, knowledge, or plain old incompetence. This was Not intended to offend anyone but I am very passionate about the trade I'm in and I know there are many other tradesmen who feel the same, and have seen the consequences of someone missing a problem with a home.

P.S (if you do go with tradesmen, ask them if they are certified Journeymen, and don't be afraid to ask them how long they've been in the trade and what experience they have. I guarantee if they're genuine they'll have no problem with answering your questions)
300 Gal 6x3x28 high Starphire peninsula w/external herbie/bean animal hybrid +150 Gal custom sump with 30gal fuge section, (both built by Concept Aquariums Calgary), 3x Ecotech Radion xr30w g2's(soon to be G3 Pros), Jebao DCT 12000 return pump, 2x Jebao RW 20 powerheads, Tunze Ato, Vertex ro/di, Reef Octopus Ext 200 skimmer run internally.

Last edited by Aquattro; 06-25-2009 at 04:30 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:57 AM

fishguyxd is on a distinguished road

thanks so far
I already bought the home and so this inspection is to ensure the builder fixes the cosmetic stuff paint of walls chips in counter trim in rooms etc. I was just sitting here thinking was there any stuff I missed or should be aware of.

I really like the comment about getting a trademan in unfort I not able to right now.

thanks I hope this also can help others

if you have any other comments pls post
Old 06-25-2009, 04:04 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

You mention it is/was a showhome so I assume it's new and has a warranty, so that's definitely in your favour and a professional inspection/tradesman inspection may still be in your interest. Shouldn't be anything major wrong since the builder needs to comply with current building codes and there would have been inspections all along during construction. Hope you enjoy your new home, it's a huge step but in the long run if you can afford it, always good to be in the market.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:12 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

congrats on the new house
Old 06-25-2009, 12:59 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road
Default Chinese Drywall

Chinese Drywall

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Toxi...255/story.html

"All houses affected have shown a common symptom — blackened, scorched wiring behind switch plates and wall plugs — and, coupled with homeowner health symptoms, that's allowed research to proceed, Martin said."
Old 06-25-2009, 02:02 PM

Pescador is on a distinguished road

One tip I discovered the hard way is to turn on all the taps and let them run then check for leaks, especially the main stack. It's pretty easy to hit it with a nail or screw.
110g mangrove refug/sump
Poison Dart Frog Vivarium