Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 10-21-2010, 09:49 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post

Where things are at now:

Hey Tony,

I'm not sure how high you will be running your return chamber:

I had mine set up much the same way and was having issues with the dart pulling air from the surface and blowing bubbles all over the tank. I had to change out the strainer for an elbow. By the looking at the hight of your baffles you probably won't run into that problem, just thought I'd mention it.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:57 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Oh ok good to know, thanks. In that picture the sump hasn't filled yet but under normal circumstances I'll have the water level straight across so the intake is a good 8" submerged. An elbow is an easy fix - worst case scenario and if I don't have enough space for an elbow I could make take a length of pipe and drill holes into it and thus spread out the intake over the width of that whole section.

Right now there is still a massive amount of air bubbles drawn into the Herbie overflow so I have to retool that a bit. Was thinking of shortening the main drain so it sits much lower down, and then raising the emergency overflow as much as I can because right now there is a 4" level drop into the overflow and it's quite the waterfall. That should both create fewer bubbles and those that do still get created have to travel further down so hopefully that will do it. There are no microbubbles in FW but that of course could all change once it's SW. Also it would be nicer to further reduce the sloshing sounds. At least with the tank room door closed the sound is contained but seems to me a Herbie is supposed to be quiet as well as bubble free.

Last edited by Delphinus; 10-21-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbacchiega View Post
yes

and no Brett...I simply said that what YOU said was worthy of a "that's what she said"...and then after what I said was ALSO worthy of a "that's what she said"....holy eff

and I'm allowed to slack...because everyone else does here sometimes too.
You're splitting hairs that's *SO* 17 years old of you Randi.

And Tony you're playing with fire man. Glad you're this close to transferring over! You've got at least a month of cycle ahead of you I imagine tho which sucks but still...
Old 10-21-2010, 10:02 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

I run no piping on my main drain, just the bulk head on the bottom and my emergency is about even with the top of the overflow. The downside is my entire overflow drains when I shut the return down, but the sump is big enough to handle it. I would say my overflow probably holds 35/40 gallons.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:21 PM

Rbacchiega is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
You're splitting hairs that's *SO* 17 years old of you Randi.
war.

Side note...today I've done nothing at the shop...besides waste time on here and facebook...and she complains. *facepalm*...okay..>THAT was 17 year old of me...dear self, grow up...and stop talking to yourself.

Another thread successfully hijacked by this gypsy tattooer.
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.

Last edited by Rbacchiega; 10-21-2010 at 10:56 PM. Reason: sometimes I spell like a 5 year old
Old 10-21-2010, 10:33 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

In my experience with the herbie setup I can't ever tune the gate valve finely enough to EXACTLY match the pumps output. The output also does change I suppose very slowly as it gets dirty. Either way what I have done is get it as close as possible so that the very slow creep is up and the emergency drain always has a very small amount just seeping down it. Bubble free, silent and like you said I have both my main pipe and my emergency very high. The overflow skims but drops about 1/2" into the box.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:54 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In my experience with the herbie setup I can't ever tune the gate valve finely enough to EXACTLY match the pumps output. The output also does change I suppose very slowly as it gets dirty. Either way what I have done is get it as close as possible so that the very slow creep is up and the emergency drain always has a very small amount just seeping down it. Bubble free, silent and like you said I have both my main pipe and my emergency very high. The overflow skims but drops about 1/2" into the box.

Exactly.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:40 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Either way what I have done is get it as close as possible so that the very slow creep is up and the emergency drain always has a very small amount just seeping down it. Bubble free, silent and like you said I have both my main pipe and my emergency very high. The overflow skims but drops about 1/2" into the box.
um thats how it suposed to be set up. so a small amount is flowing through the second tube.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:56 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I have a small amount going into the upper tube, although it's not steady. Because of the variable flow coming into the overflow (because of the waves going) the water level tends vary by about 1/4" so it comes up about 1/8" above the drain pipe then 1/8" below.

The issue was that, well, actually it's not really an issue, it's not THAT loud, but because I used a strainer on each standpipe, and the Eurobracing overlapping part of the standpipes, I can't get the top of the standpipe higher than 4" down from the top. It still works it's just that there's enough flow you can hear the waterfall when you're in the tank room. Outside the tankroom there is no noise so it's not like it's a problem.

But I found something that will allow me to raise the standpipe while keeping a strainer on it. Pictures tonight if I get the standpipe reworked. Would have done it last night but I decided to watch some TV instead.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
um thats how it suposed to be set up.
Somehow I never read exactly how it's supposed to work that was the only way I figured it could. Just brain-dumping here in the hopes of helping out.