Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 10-09-2010, 12:35 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Well there's always bazinga...just sayin'.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:06 AM

Rbacchiega is on a distinguished road

bazinga, just sayin, bangerang...those seem to be my three favorite thingermajigs....oh, that's one too....
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:09 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I'll be honest and say I was saving them up in a text file and I was gonna unload all of them in some random post down the road and see if you noticed. I just got lazy.

This tank is gonna be bangerangin'. I do that right?
Old 10-09-2010, 02:32 AM

Rbacchiega is on a distinguished road

not bangerangin'...that's just silly.

This tank is going to be bangerang
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:24 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

That sump looks amazing Tony, Jay did an absolutely bang on job (But then again I don't think Jay knows how to do bad glass work). Can't wait to see this beast full of water!

Think you will be running Biopellets with the new one? Apparently there has been some big argument over at reefcentral about them bleaching coral. I just upgraded the pump on mine and added a new bag, no ill effects yet.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:34 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I don't know. I might on a supplemental basis because I think the mulm is good coral food (well, if the overabundance of feather dusters at my reactors output is any indication). As far as the bleaching goes though .. I can throw my name into the hat that it has happened to me too. On the big cube, the fish load is enormous and the pellets seem to keep the nutrients at bay. On the small semi-cube though, the nutrient load was always light on account of an overabundance of caulerpa that aggressively strips the water of NO3 and probably PO4. I had hoped that the pellets would starve it out because I've been fighting the caulerpa for months and it's a total losing proposition. The pellets starved out my chaeto on the big tank but the caulerpa's mojo is stronger apparently. Anyhow long story short I got bleaching in that tank. All my Acan's, my two carpets (my purple carpet is now a white carpet - pure white ), and a green bubble all showed signs of bleaching and have there's been no recovery of colour in the 3 or so months since it started. I should take the pellets offline on that tank to see if it changes anything but I'm a little afraid to just take them off cold turkey. At this point I'm hoping that I can just move everyone into the big tank soon and it will be a turning point.

I suspect the problem is running pellets on a system where the nutrient load is already somewhat low. In my big tank it's pretty high so it's got something to do, in the small tank I guess the pellets get bored and start looking for trouble or something. Just my uneducated theory. Stupid caulerpa. I have to prune it every 2-3 days. I'd move rock into the big tank and let the tangs and rabbit go at it but the butterflies might pick at the other things I don't want to lose.

I did keep all the equipment from Zeo when I ran it before. I'm contemplating doing so again with this tank, especially after seeing John and Dez's tanks on it.

Haven't really though much more of it for now. Any thoughts on this yourself? Would love to hear. Unfortunately I have not a lot of time these days so I only go onto RC every so often to check up on some of my favourite threads there, and as such I miss a lot of good info.

Last edited by Delphinus; 10-09-2010 at 05:37 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:14 AM

andestang is on a distinguished road

I was running Zeo for a couple of years with moderate success and then I decided to try the pellets. After just under 2 months I had a large Digi and a couple Acro's bleach out and have a few others thats are showing signs of trouble. Like you I don't want to just disconnect it all of sudden. I also cannot say or prove it is the reason for the bleaching, but up to that point I've had no issues. Be interesting to here results from a newly started tank, but to be discussed in another thread. Have you read up on the Zeo 14 day start up cycle ?

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:22 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I think so but it was a couple years ago so I don't remember much of it, I should look for it again (got a link handy? I'll look for it too though). I remember Albert was a fairly strong proponent of Zeo and I remember him saying you could add livestock to a tank at 2 weeks on a zeo system. I'd be a little concerned that the bacterial cultures would be all in the zeolites and not the rock especially when starting from dry rock (or at least a 50/50 mixture of dry rock) although I imagine over time a bacterial film should develop over the substrate anyhow..
Old 10-09-2010, 06:26 AM
Gold Member

ZEOVIT SUCKS.

Just fishing for dao. Any minute now...
Old 10-09-2010, 06:27 AM
Gold Member

Hmmm didn't work.

HALO REACH > STARCRAFT