Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 10-25-2013, 03:39 PM

saltyair is on a distinguished road

parting with cherish so young just seems unthinkable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearth View Post
I have had 2 cats with terminal cancer one with kidney and the other with breast cancer. Both lived for about 7 months after diagnoses and until the last month of their lives were active and showed no outward signs of pain then suddenly literally overnight both went from active to hiding sleeping cats that were showing signs of distress but it took me a week or so to notice the signs and it was finally time to take them on a one way trip to the vet.

The choice ultimately is yours you can keep your dog till it shows signs or you can choose to say your goodbyes now either way it will suck the big one no matter what you decide and while it is just an animal it is also part of the family.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:52 PM

Seriak is on a distinguished road

My dog just had her first seizure this morning so I found it interesting that I read your post this morning as well. She is going on 13 and I am assuming I will have to make a decision for her sooner rather than later.

I wish you all the best.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:02 PM

that is just horrible - that is one of the reasons we are just doing pain management.
so sorry porteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
My Akita got cancer we tried meds. After a week he developed sores where there was bare skin. Nose,paws,underside. Got so bad that he couldn't sit down. Meds were $1000 a month.

Needless to say I had no choice to put my boy down a 7 years old.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:34 PM

Cal_stir is on a distinguished road

Very sorry to hear, personally pain management and let nature take its course is what I would do, and lots of LOVE.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:08 PM

thmh is on a distinguished road

Hey David, I saw this meme today and it made me think of your situation..... There is always light at the end of a dark tunnel!

~Tony

Last edited by thmh; 10-26-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:51 PM

Great post Tony - made our family smile.

we changed to a better pain reliever and she is doing great - took her for a hike and she played and hunted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmh View Post
Hey David, I saw this meme today and it made me think of your situation..... There is always light at the end of a dark tunnel!

~Tony
Old 11-24-2013, 01:48 PM

Default Update

Hey all have been really busy the last two weeks - but wanted to share this update about Cherish.

Last weekend Cherish wasn't doing well panting and seem to be in pain - she was still eating but very lethargic. On Monday my wife and I made the decision that it's time and we are just keeping her medicated for us.
So Tuesday morning I took her to her favorite park and let her hang out - she was not very responsive but did hop around sniffing, after about 20 min we made our way to the vet.
Cherish didn't want to get out of the truck so we took our time and gently picked her up and let her hop into the vet office.
OMG she started to run around and beg for treats - jumping up and wagging her tail acting like nothing was wrong. We all look at each other and started to tear up - "WE CAN"T DO THIS" we all said.
it was surreal - I picked her up and took her home - she has been hopping around on three legs and being her normal self.
SHE WAS NOT READY - we couldn't be happier.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:27 PM

SanguinesDream is on a distinguished road

I firmly believe that animals understand much more than we give them credit for. Prayers for Cherish and your family for a miracle and peace.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:49 PM

skabooya is on a distinguished road

This posting actually made me cry. I recently had to say goodbye to my best friend of 13.5 years. Over the last 2 years he was loosing lots of weight. We fed him LOTS and spoiled him with treats and gave him food additives to help his aging coat. Things were going well and then he started dropping weight again and was nothing but skin and bones. Still full of life but something was wrong and he ate like a pig. We took him to the vet on the Tuesday and he found nothing wrong but we figured deworming him, giving him antibiotics for his now chronic diarrhea and updating his shots should be done anyway. After that day he slowly stopped eating, drinking and became very slow. I would need to coax him into the house daily and it became harder and harder. On the 19th I called him to come in the house. He did not come. I had to look for him with our flashlight in our backyard. I found him in his favourite spot lying down and staring at me. I slipped in something and noticed all the grass around me was black. I thought blood, but it was hard to tell. Nash would not get up. I put a leash around him and he got up on his own and started walking very slowly. As I watched I noticed how much pain he was in. He was squatting as he walked like he needed to poop. As we got to the back door I could see him better. He looked horrible. He got in the house all by himself and collapsed on the floor. His backside was wet. I grabbed some paper towel and wiped to see what it was (he was a chocolate lab so wet dark fur could mean he was wet with anything). He was covered in blood. Everything was blood. I realized then that what I stepped in outside was all blood in the grass. I called my mom and then the vet and then my mom in law. I knew this was it. The vet wanted me to bring him down but there is no way I could pick up Nash. He hated being picked up and became dead weight and awkward if you tried. Now he was just lying there looking at me, asking for help. My mom and mom in law showed up (my husband was gone hunting for a week, kids in bed sleeping) and Nash started to become anxious. He new something was not right. He did not get up at all during this time. I stayed right beside him the whole time. The vet came and examined him. Blood everywhere. He looked at his gums and they were white. There was nothing we could do to save Nash. I looked at Nash and told him how sorry I was. I cried.. a lot, and hugged him as the vet injected him. I felt Nash relax and leave as I held him. The vet said it was more than likely a tumor in his bowels that burst. I was upset because Nash was just examined a few days before and he was found to be fine. I also took Nash for regular checkups and he was always fine. Either way he accepted the injection and left very quickly and peacefully. I miss him terribly and breaking the routine of bringing him in the house every evening for him to eat and spend time with us was difficult.

They say you will know when it is time and believe me, you will. It will be the hardest thing you ever have to do. I am still not over it. He was and still is and will forever be my fur baby.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:02 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

This is such a sad thread. It's good to hear you still have Cherish and she wasn't ready to go. Animals do know exactly what's going on, at least you know you can do what's required when it's time, as hard as that is.

Regarding Nash, this broke my heart for you. So very sorry for your loss!! We have a black lab/rottie who has wrapped himself in my heart like a child!! He's only 4 1/2 and healthy, but I can't imagine not having him around! Prayers to you for healing and peace while your Nash is at peace and running in green fields, free of pain!