Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: What do you do with new additions?
Seperate Quarantine Tank every time 28 43.75%
Same water system, but a holding tank 1 1.56%
Same tank, but seperated by a divider or net 0 0%
Just put them in! They will figure it out 35 54.69%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2015, 02:30 AM

warriorcookie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
That's because people don't know how to do it. They shove a fish in a tiny tank that isn't cycled or use medication that kills biological bacteria, don't use Prime/AmQuel/etc, and say quarantine killed the fish. No, the quarantine didn't kill the fish, the hobbyist killed the fish. Many people can't even recognize when they have done something wrong - no idea what ammonia poisoning looks like, or which medications to use/when.
This!

I've only had one fish in my QT die and it was when I did something really stupid. I never should have bought that fish in the first place, and the QT was setup completely wrong for that fish.

The most obvious issue is a fish coming home with a disease, which happens but I think is rare.
What I've seen more often is a fish that gets put into the display, won't compete for food, gets weak, gets picked on, gets sick and dies.

When I put my fish in QT it gives them time to recover and venture out and then slowly eat at its own pace. Once the fish is attacking the food without being scared of me then I know it's ready for the display. In the meantime I can watch for signs of disease and treat if necessary. I'm not a fan of random dips and medications unless there's an actual issue.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:32 PM

Aqua-Digital is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike View Post
What exactly happened, what caused the wipe out ?
Velvet on a regal tang!!

whole store system was fine, never had an issue from them, just an issue that can happen to any store anywhere anytime.

The tang went down with it within 36 hours and the rest followed before we could get hem out into QT, lost whole tank stock.

You dont QT you play with natures biggest fire in this hobby
Old 02-07-2015, 12:33 PM

Aqua-Digital is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
That's because people don't know how to do it. They shove a fish in a tiny tank that isn't cycled or use medication that kills biological bacteria, don't use Prime/AmQuel/etc, and say quarantine killed the fish. No, the quarantine didn't kill the fish, the hobbyist killed the fish. Many people can't even recognize when they have done something wrong - no idea what ammonia poisoning looks like, or which medications to use/when.
Best words spoken on this whole thread.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:25 PM

Skimmer Juice is on a distinguished road

If you have fish you care about QT new additions. You may get lucky by not qt your fish . I have a 10 year old puffer I would never in a million years add a fish to the tank with out full qt . I try to avoid treating fish in the qt with medication unless absolutely necessary . Prefer to try to let them get over sickness on there own . I'm guessing the people who never qt have yet to have a fish for over 5 - 10 years ? If you have a fish for that amount of time would you risk killing the fish over adding a new fish form a store? Not worth skipping the qt process. Basically I had a longhorn cowfish for 5 years grew it from a baby , I decided to add a $500 golden puffer to the tank who looked fine in the store was eating no visible signs of anything . 5 days in he wiped out every fish in my tank including the cow and the golden puffer. That was the last time I have added anything to my tank without qt .
Old 02-07-2015, 04:49 PM

SiliconGuy is on a distinguished road

I put everything in quarantine for 3 good weeks.

If you think about it, quarantine benefits of both the new arrival and the established inhabitants in the DT.
If the new arrivals dies in QT (touch wood, never happened to me), it probably would not have stood a chance in the DT.

While not judgmental, I'm surprised to see the apparent majority that do not use a QT.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:57 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconGuy View Post
I'm surprised to see the apparent majority that do not use a QT.
Not surprised at all. QT requires extra time and money, and requires patience. All things that go against the grain for the vast majority of people in the hobby.

My QT is a 50g in my kitchen that I have to apologize to my wife about all the time. Takes work, extra salt, etc. Not something most people would do, and I wouldn't either if I hadn't lost over 3k in fish in the last 2 years. Now it's only smart for me to do it. I don't like it, but it's necessary.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:39 PM

SiliconGuy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Not surprised at all. QT requires extra time and money, and requires patience. All things that go against the grain for the vast majority of people in the hobby.
OK, point taken. Well I guess then that we have two groups:
the ones that have been burnt and the ones that will

Much like backing up your computer before loosing data...
Old 02-07-2015, 05:46 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Ya. I bet if you're bored, you can find old posts by me very against QT. Didn't believe in it at all, and not even from a lazy or money standpoint. But having watched all my fish die, I'm never doing that again as long as I can help it.

But, there are lots of different people in the hobby. Some can't afford it. Some have more money than they know what to do with and don't mind replacing fish. Some think they're "just fish". Some don't care. Some can't afford it, some don't have room to do it, some can't or won't make the time.

Some of us can't afford not to do it
Old 02-07-2015, 05:52 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Good one,... Now, hmmm, when did I last back up my computer?... Gonna have to dust off that old external drive, maybe this weekend. Thanks for the reminder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Ya. I bet if you're bored, you can find old posts by me very against QT. Didn't believe in it at all, and not even from a lazy or money standpoint. But having watched all my fish die, I'm never doing that again as long as I can help it.
Happy to see you are still a convert...
Old 02-07-2015, 05:55 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
Happy to see you are still a convert...
I have to be, I'm not one of those guys that can afford to replace tankfuls of fish on a regular basis And I actually get attached to the fish I have, and hate seeing them die. I'm really a softie inside -lol