Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Old 03-23-2013, 02:46 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

im running a 2640 on my tank internally at home , love these pumps. i run 3/4" lines from my pump and the smallest barb fitting they give you fits inside the pipe snuggly.

i run mine on speed 4 and have my return t'd off for a manifold if i ever plan to add something, just up the speed a bit.

at the store im running a few different dc pumps and skimmers, we just hooked up two externally externally and on a closed loop system , sched 40 adapters fit the threads perfectly and they do not leak one bit so far.we have both of them on a controller to run 30 sec back and forth.

the dc pumps do have a small humm to them but nothing compared to some of the heavy ac pumps of equal size.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:29 PM

FragIt Dan is on a distinguished road

Blog post about gen2 DC pumps, even a new 20000. Comments about the closed impeller design are interesting and good news for those running basement sumps:
http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/blo...line-dc-pumps/

Dan
Save the Reef, Buy a Frag!
Old 04-09-2013, 01:37 AM

Magma is on a distinguished road

I just bought the Speedwave 1320 (or DC-5000 which ever name you want to call it) Im finding that if I run it anywhere past level 2, it gives off a high pitch hum which is almost unbearable to be around. With the tank in my living room and the sound im wondering if something is wrong? Im seriously considering going back to an AC motor because its so loud.

Wondering if anyone else has this issue?
Old 04-09-2013, 01:59 AM

subman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
I just bought the Speedwave 1320 (or DC-5000 which ever name you want to call it) Im finding that if I run it anywhere past level 2, it gives off a high pitch hum which is almost unbearable to be around. With the tank in my living room and the sound im wondering if something is wrong? Im seriously considering going back to an AC motor because its so loud.

Something is wrong for sure I'm running a dc-5000 and dc10000 on a tank in my home theater room and they are almost silent

My other summer hobby:
http://www.edkra.ca
Old 04-09-2013, 02:00 AM
Vendor

nrosdal is on a distinguished road

i have been running a dc5000 for the better part of a year now and it is quiet as can be. Ther must be an issue with the pump if you are getting a sound at low speed.

when i have mine at full blast i can hear a slight humm but nothing that would travel more then a few feet and then not be audible. Mine is also externally mounted... so sound should be muffled even more if you have it in water. Do you have the base on it so that it is not vibrating against the sump bottom without the rubber feet?
Old 04-09-2013, 02:39 AM

Magma is on a distinguished road

Yes I have it mounted on the bottom of the sump using the base with the rubber feet and if you turn it up past level 2, the HUM travels from the front room of my house all the way to the back of the house and is VERY noticeable. Its so bad I actually had to close my bedroom door just to sleep last night and it was only Level 3.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:33 AM

FragIt Dan is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Speedwave and Waveline are NOT the same. Waveline DC5000 is put out by H2O (RLSS.ca) while Speedwave is a direct competitor, some say a poorly made copy. There are new Waveline pumps due out shortly whereas I do not expect similar upgrades from Speedwave.

Dan
Save the Reef, Buy a Frag!
Old 04-10-2013, 04:43 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragIt Dan View Post
Speedwave and Waveline are NOT the same. Waveline DC5000 is put out by H2O (RLSS.ca) while Speedwave is a direct competitor, some say a poorly made copy. There are new Waveline pumps due out shortly whereas I do not expect similar upgrades from Speedwave.

Dan
Waveline & Speedwave I believe are made by the same Chineese manufacture. I have 3 DC10000 & 2 DC5000 from Waveline & have compared them to the Speedwave pumps, they are the exact same pump in every way.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 04-10-2013, 04:46 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yes I have it mounted on the bottom of the sump using the base with the rubber feet and if you turn it up past level 2, the HUM travels from the front room of my house all the way to the back of the house and is VERY noticeable. Its so bad I actually had to close my bedroom door just to sleep last night and it was only Level 3.
Try a sound dampening pad under the pump. I bought a couple from BRS and they do work but you need to put it in a ziplock if it's going into the sump.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 04-10-2013, 02:19 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
Waveline & Speedwave I believe are made by the same Chineese manufacture. I have 3 DC10000 & 2 DC5000 from Waveline & have compared them to the Speedwave pumps, they are the exact same pump in every way.
Agreed, I have both speedwave and waveline in my possession, I believe there is zero chance these pumps are not made in the same factory. The only difference is the power supply for the speedwave is slightly larger in size and doesn't seem to heat up as much as the wavelines. For this reason I'd suggest the speedwaves over the wavelines.