Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-08-2013, 03:09 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearth View Post
I had my left hand paralyzed for just over 6 hrs when I handled 3 coral juries still out on which one it was but I can tell you it was excruciatingly painfull. I handled a Zoa, mushroom leather, red and green brain coral I treat all my coral with care because I never wanna go through that pain ever again
Your really having a rough start at this. I almost always wear gloves when I have to handle anything in my tank now. A box of 100 blue nitrile gloves sells for $10 and lasts for a very long time. They're pretty tough yet disposable and they don't have any powder inside like the latex gloves typically do.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 02-08-2013, 05:11 AM

Mike-fish is on a distinguished road

Unless I missed it somewhere in this thread. What is the treatment for anemone stings. And fox face stings
Old 05-31-2013, 04:04 AM

AquaAddict is on a distinguished road
Default Frogspawn stings

Hi,

I have had my frog spawns sting me (especially my largest one) and I immediately run hot water (hot as I can stand it) over the rash for as long as I can stand it. This will help prevent some swelling. I can't remember where I learned this. I am guessing this treatment may "kill" or wash out the sting nematocysts that the coral "flings out" at you.

It's been my experience that you don't have to get very close to the coral - a couple of inches will do to ellicite a reaction from the coral.

AquaAddict
PS I sold that large coral in order to have more maneuvering room.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:07 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

well, my allergies seem to be going away as I have less and less skin reaction and itch, but I will try the hot water trick next time, thanks a lot.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:50 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-fish View Post
Unless I missed it somewhere in this thread. What is the treatment for anemone stings. And fox face stings
When I was badly stung by a maxi mini nem I ran my hand under hot water and soaked it in vinegar which helped take the initial sting out. I had red welts and it was itchy for a week but one thing that really helped was an anti itch cream like Benadryl.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:11 AM

HaZRaTTy is on a distinguished road

When you guys state a "Rash" what doesn't your rash look like is there any Folliculitis occurring after the sting/exposure?
Old 06-01-2013, 07:07 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

I was target feeding my Black Long-spined Urchin recently, and, as the saying goes, 'Don't bite the hand that feeds you', except apparently my urchin doesn't know this ...

Instead of feeding him Nori with a feeding prong, I thought I'd try a hand feeding
As he was on the front glass, I figured it would be easy to poke a piece of nori into his general area. I held the nori against the glass with 1 finger and slowly pushed it towards him. He started to get the idea and was crawling up the glass towards the nori (and my hand)
I kept my hand against the glass the whole time, and his spines were checking me out, but nothing major ...
He keeps coming up the glass, finds the nori, and then he suddenly flares out and pokes me on a knuckle

I don't know if it was a reaction form him or not, but it hurt at first
I kept my hand in the tank until he grabbed the nori, so my sting was in the water for over a minute
By the time I got my finger to the sink for hot water it was a black dot, like I'd been poked with a pencil
After a couple of minutes of hot water, the pain went away and after a couple of hours the pain was gone

The next day my knuckle was back to normal
Old 06-01-2013, 01:20 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Mine look like poison oak rash, so I am guessing that my skin reaction is caused by my own body producing istamine rather than by the substance itself since the reaction is too similar to a simple allergic reaction.

This photo is not mine but it look similar to this, with little pimples and red rash around, and it itch like crazy. If I put cortisone cream it goes away in a day or two:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaZRaTTy View Post
When you guys state a "Rash" what doesn't your rash look like is there any Folliculitis occurring after the sting/exposure?
Old 06-01-2013, 04:26 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaZRaTTy View Post
Here's pic's of my hand after I was stung

Old 07-20-2013, 03:00 AM

RipCurl is on a distinguished road
Default How to Get Rid of Zoas?

Hi! I'd appreciate any advice on how to remove some of my Zoas or at least slow them down from reproducing so quickly. I'm not really a big fan of them any longer.If anyone would like some, we can swap live rocks.

Last edited by RipCurl; 11-17-2014 at 11:58 PM.