Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Old 06-15-2013, 03:22 PM

DigitalWeight is on a distinguished road
Default Advice on Vortech MP40w Placement

I am getting to tank set up and need some advice on the placement of my two Ecotech Vortech MP40's. Right now I have one on each side, with the left one closer to the front of the aquarium (facing the tank) and the right one closer to the back.

Is this ideal, or is there another way I should think about setting them up? Should they both be in the center? Higher, lower?

P.S. this is not maximum water level as I need to make more water to continue the first fill.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:40 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

The placement will give you lots of flow putting a circular motion. But I found IMO. That they create alot of undertow grom suction side so moving a little farther away from glass may be a good idea
Old 06-15-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus99 View Post
The placement will give you lots of flow putting a circular motion. But I found IMO. That they create alot of undertow grom suction side so moving a little farther away from glass may be a good idea
Thanks - do you mean just to move the pump on the overflow side closer to centre (left) or both?
Old 06-15-2013, 04:06 PM

Yes. Personally I would. But not straight across from each other
Old 06-15-2013, 05:18 PM

jr999 is on a distinguished road

I used the center of my side pane of glass as a starting point and went from there. I now have one 40 3" towards the back and the other 3" towards the front. 1 is about 8" down from the top of the tank and the other 12". 4'x2'x2' 120 gallon tank. I also point the solid section of the wet side towards the top of the water to allow the flow to spread out.

Once you get them where they work best for you be sure to use the cord ties to secure the dry side from falling. They don't land softly if they come disconnected.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr999 View Post
I used the center of my side pane of glass as a starting point and went from there. I now have one 40 3" towards the back and the other 3" towards the front. 1 is about 8" down from the top of the tank and the other 12". 4'x2'x2' 120 gallon tank. I also point the solid section of the wet side towards the top of the water to allow the flow to spread out.

Once you get them where they work best for you be sure to use the cord ties to secure the dry side from falling. They don't land softly if they come disconnected.
Thanks for this advice. I like the idea of one higher than the other.

Also, I didn't know it mattered how the wet side was rotated. I will have to experiment with that.

Last edited by DigitalWeight; 06-15-2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-15-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalWeight View Post
Thanks for this advice. I like the idea of one higher than the other.

Also, I didn't know it mattered how the wet side was rotated. I will have to experiment with that.
After some quick research it appears that the orientation of the wetside does matter. To stop a vortex from occuring, the solid section of the wetside should be facing up towards the top of the tank. This makes sense from a physics perspective (although I am no Sheldon Cooper!).
Old 06-15-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalWeight View Post
After some quick research it appears that the orientation of the wetside does matter. To stop a vortex from occuring, the solid section of the wetside should be facing up towards the top of the tank. This makes sense from a physics perspective (although I am no Sheldon Cooper!).
Lol
Old 06-16-2013, 02:38 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I'd recommend securing the cord ASAP, even if it's with a temporary clamp on the rim. Aside from the danger of it dropping, there's undue stress on the cord the way it's hanging in your photo. As much as I like my VorTechs and the ingenuity behind the design, I don't know what they were thinking when they came up with the ziptie, sticky pad idea holding the electrical cord to keep the pump from hitting the floor if the two sides come apart. Sure it saves the dry side from hitting the floor and/or going through the glass, but it goes against most warnings about not pulling on electrical cords! You'd think they could come up with a tab or something solid on the dry side housing that would take a separate cable to keep the thing from falling.

My MP40s are just slightly offset in relation to each other and fairly close to the center of the side glass. About 6 inches from the tank rim. I have a third one on the back glass, turned down to a lower setting since my tank is narrow.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
I'd recommend securing the cord ASAP, even if it's with a temporary clamp on the rim. Aside from the danger of it dropping, there's undue stress on the cord the way it's hanging in your photo. As much as I like my VorTechs and the ingenuity behind the design, I don't know what they were thinking when they came up with the ziptie, sticky pad idea holding the electrical cord to keep the pump from hitting the floor if the two sides come apart. Sure it saves the dry side from hitting the floor and/or going through the glass, but it goes against most warnings about not pulling on electrical cords! You'd think they could come up with a tab or something solid on the dry side housing that would take a separate cable to keep the thing from falling.

My MP40s are just slightly offset in relation to each other and fairly close to the center of the side glass. About 6 inches from the tank rim. I have a third one on the back glass, turned down to a lower setting since my tank is narrow.
Very good advice - I have attached them for now so in case they give in the night they don't drop. Agree on the design - seems a bit unsafe.

I did pretty much what you have described and seem to have them tuned in. I have an MP10 from my nano that I will probably move over and put it closer to the sandbed to stir up any junk that collects behind the rock. I hope that if I tune the MP10 down low enough it will keep stuff from settling but not stir up my sanded (Special Grade stuff so it doesn't seem to blow around too much anyway).