Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 12-31-2008, 06:06 PM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road
Default Question on Home Entertainment systems

So Santa was good this year and brought us our first new television in 10 years and wow is the picture ever fantastic. We got the Bravia WL 40" series (1080p, 120hz) so now i'm trying to figure out the best way to hook everything up.

The only peripherals we have is a Nintendo Wii, a 2 year old DVD player with S-video and the fancy component input and a satellite TV box with S-video/coaxial/or basic red white yellow component input. The TV has only one s-video port so I was hoping to put the dvd player on the fancy component input and the cable box to S-Video but I went out looking for the component input cords and they were like $50. Not really wanting to pay $50 for cables when odds are I will buy a blu-ray in the next year so I have maybe a goofy question, could I use the basic component cable (red yellow white) to connect the 3 ports in the higher end component (Y,PR,PB) or is it a completely different cable???

Also, a quick question on Blu-Ray, I looked at a few on boxing day sales and noticed that while you can pick up a Blu-Ray player for anywhere from $199, I saw HDMI cables for $150??? I thought, are you kidding me... they expect you to pay as much for the cable as the machine itself? I also noticed different rated HDMI 750, 850, 1000, etc. Is there a real difference?

And for those of you who already have Blu-Ray, do you feel it was worth the jump yet or should a guy wait a while?

Thanks
Old 12-31-2008, 06:12 PM

xtreme is on a distinguished road

Try Home Depot, you should be able to get component video cables for less than $50. The red, white and yellow will not work as the yellow is video and the red and white are audio. Component uses three different video signals and you still need to connect audio somehow on top of that. As for HDMI/DVI cables don't buy the $150 monster cables, you get the exact same quality with a much cheaper cable that you could pick up online or somewhere like memory express for probably around 15 bucks.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:16 PM

Powertec is on a distinguished road

For question number one...No you can't they are totally different cables.

For the blue ray with the hdmi i have one rocket something for my satellite that we paid like 100.00 for and then we got a blu ray for xmas and just bought a 30.00 one from best buy and i see no difference..

You can get resonable priced s video cables from Walmart. I have them on my daughters t.v and she still has pretty darn good picture.

Just my thoughts on it though
Old 12-31-2008, 06:57 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

You can use the r/w/y cables for component video, maybe not 100% ideal but will work. Cheap place for good cables is Princess Auto. What's also works is just get a roll of RG59 and RCA plugs (there's solder and twist type) and make your own.

HDMI 6' cables are less than $30 at places like Costco, Memory Express etc.

I've just got a cheap Sharp Blu-ray player and works well with my new Plasma. What's also nice is the regular DVDs player better as well.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:00 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

IME a good quality HDMI cable is well worth the money...although I don't have a ton of experience.

I had originally bought a cheap $40 one from Home Depot (I think) and really was not impressed. I ended up getting a "high end" one from Best Buy (you don't want to know how much ) and I notice a huge difference. I don't think I needed to spend so much but I would recommend doing your research (as you are) and getting a good HDMI cable at least.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:00 PM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

U can go to costco and the cables are way cheaper.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:03 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
You can use the r/w/y cables for component video, maybe not 100% ideal but will work. Cheap place for good cables is Princess Auto. What's also works is just get a roll of RG59 and RCA plugs (there's solder and twist type) and make your own.

HDMI 6' cables are less than $30 at places like Costco, Memory Express etc.

I've just got a cheap Sharp Blu-ray player and works well with my new Plasma. What's also nice is the regular DVDs player better as well.
Ok...maybe I am wrong then

I did notice a huge difference though between the cheaper one and the expensive one. Maybe it depends on the TV?
Old 12-31-2008, 07:09 PM

atcguy is on a distinguished road

why would you spend so much on a new tv then cheap out on the component thats going to get the signal to the TV.. While you may not notice the biggest difference from a med priced cable to the super expensive ones.... you need to buy good cables..... makes me laugh when you hear people spending 3000 on a tv at best buy etc.. and then you here them say give me the cheapest cables...... spend the money.... and you are a reefer... we know you like to spend money
Old 12-31-2008, 07:14 PM

midgetwaiter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
Ok...maybe I am wrong then

I did notice a huge difference though between the cheaper one and the expensive one. Maybe it depends on the TV?
It does. If you have a really nice TV that is doing 1080p at 120hz then it makes sense to get a decent cable. These are serious high end units though.

For most people running 1080p at 60hz you won't see much difference in cables 2m or shorter.

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDw2ZSDzlMw

Last edited by midgetwaiter; 12-31-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:18 PM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road

Check ebay as well..some good deals on high quality stuff..dont skimp on quality....you will enjoy the system much better that way