Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 01-06-2013, 07:32 PM

kam is on a distinguished road
Default Evergrow LED lights

I decided against the Fluval Marine & Reef LED lights as I have done some research, and been told, that they just won't suffice if I want to do coral down the road...

I am on a strict budget with my 75gal tank and have been looking into more lights but just don't want to completely cheap out. I have been doing some reading and the Evergrow lights seem to be decent..from what the specs say.
Does anyone have any info to shed some light on them or personal experiences they could share?

http://reefsupplycanada.com/cgi-bin/...anada&pc=14363

Par ratings with the IT2040 (16" ballast) Im looking at going with the 2080 unless for some reason i could get away with the 2060

Old 01-06-2013, 08:02 PM

bkelly is on a distinguished road

talk to 'mseepman' Mark here on canreef he has one I believe, also Nick the vendor here at Reefsupplycanada he deals with them

brent
Old 01-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

I have the 2040 but haven't got it up yet. Once I do, a full review will be forthcoming. My only comment would be, keep the reds to a minimum.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

I have the 120 over my 30g sps reef. Its a pretty good light. I dont have enough at the bottom for my corals nor enough spread for the 30in.

However the sps under the light itself are growing well and have good colour. I ran my SWC extreme led with it for awhile and their was a noticeable difference in the colour of the corals with the two lights. Im back to just the Evergrow now and keep rearranging to get the corals in a good spot.

Over a standard 20g, they would be perfect. Of course thats the bottom end unit as compared with the rest.

I really like their fans and no remote ballast. And the price is right. Plus Nick is very good to deal with.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:28 PM

bkelly is on a distinguished road

Hi Doug, for The D120 how many watts do you think your using, I was thinking of one for my frag tank its 24 inch long but just thought if its 120W then there are more efficient options with LED out there for a bit more but less in the long run, I took off a 150W MH so looking at cutting down my power usage.
Did you get the full spectrum/90Degree?

brent
Old 01-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Rest In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkelly View Post
Hi Doug, for The D120 how many watts do you think your using, I was thinking of one for my frag tank its 24 inch long but just thought if its 120W then there are more efficient options with LED out there for a bit more but less in the long run, I took off a 150W MH so looking at cutting down my power usage.
Did you get the full spectrum/90Degree?
I have never measured wattage but would guess its 120 as stated? I assume thats at full intensity but again not sure. I also have a SWC Extreme running at 60w. Not as intense white as the D120 but its a pretty good fixture. My sps grew well under it as long as not to deep but that seems the same for my 120.

I aslo took a 150w fixture off my 20g tank when I bought the 60w unit. I never had much luck with the 150 and a 14k double ended bulb. My corals grew better with the led, but as mentioned limited depth and spread. On my 30g I almost need both which I assume is 180w. May as well run a 250 halide.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Rest In Peace

Should add I,m sure the D120 would be plenty for my 30g, if it was not all sps corals.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:05 AM

So, does anyone have any thoughts on two D120s compared to just one of the new IT2080s? Cost is close

Oh and I mentioned my tank was a 75gal.. think its more of an 80, either way its 48"x18"x20"
Old 01-07-2013, 03:02 PM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

I would do 2 120's over a tank that width. Cheaper. you wont get all the icky shadowing, Unless you feel the need to do everything digitally? I prefer mine simple... Its the same spread as the 120 i think so if you just do 1 on a tank that large... you're only lighting up half of it.
Except I ordered directly from the company in China, no need to pay the middle man extra.
http://www.ledgrowlights.cn/
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/317880

I have Evergrows Nova a8 over my 36" tank and LOVE it, comapy was great to deal with, they did it up and sent it out super quick. I went DIY with my colour choice as I wanted my blues too be deeper/darker, then what the standard is as well as adding in some red/green, and making my whites more then just 10,000k. Great growth on my monti's and lps, haven't bought any other sps yet. But I have faith these lights will grow anything.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coasting View Post
I would do 2 120's over a tank that width. Cheaper. you wont get all the icky shadowing, Unless you feel the need to do everything digitally? I prefer mine simple... Its the same spread as the 120 i think so if you just do 1 on a tank that large... you're only lighting up half of it.
Except I ordered directly from the company in China, no need to pay the middle man extra.
http://www.ledgrowlights.cn/
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/317880

I have Evergrows Nova a8 over my 36" tank and LOVE it, comapy was great to deal with, they did it up and sent it out super quick. I went DIY with my colour choice as I wanted my blues too be deeper/darker, then what the standard is as well as adding in some red/green, and making my whites more then just 10,000k. Great growth on my monti's and lps, haven't bought any other sps yet. But I have faith these lights will grow anything.

yea I saw them on aliexpress.com but wasnt sure if i could trust that site
I wouldnt mind spending a little more and getting from a canadian retail at least.