Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Krakens Reef

Old 01-13-2015, 01:08 AM
Vendor

Kraken is on a distinguished road
Default K1 Kaldness Media - 10mm x 7mm

Krakens Aquarium now carrying Kaldness media!

What is K1 Media?
Developed by Professor Halvard Odergard, Kaldness Moving Bed Bio film process has been designed specifically to create the most effective environment for nitrification process to take place. The media is engineered in a wheel shape and is slightly positively buoyant, allowing a small amount of water flow (created by adding air to the process) to circulate the media throughout the vessel.

You can get them at K1 Kaldness Media
Old 01-13-2015, 01:26 AM

TimT is on a distinguished road

I will vouch for these as I used them for 5+ years. They are very efficient, the next gen of bio filtration. I would put 25 boxes of Bali fish into my system and not even see an ammonia or nitrite spike.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 01-13-2015, 02:41 AM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
I will vouch for these as I used them for 5+ years. They are very efficient, the next gen of bio filtration. I would put 25 boxes of Bali fish into my system and not even see an ammonia or nitrite spike.

Cheers,
Tim
Hey Tim, I was thinking about putting some marine pure biospheres in the tank since my rock work is very simplistic. I don't think I will have too much bioload as far as fish goes, do you think this product would be a better choice?

Thanks Rich

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 01-13-2015, 03:17 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Cheers,
Tim
Yeah, these are awesome on fish only systems! These are like BioBalls on steroids.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:19 AM

Hi Rich,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblinks
I was thinking about putting some marine pure biospheres in the tank since my rock work is very simplistic.
The two products do somewhat different jobs. The Kaldnes is just for aerobic biological filtration while the biospheres apparently reduce nitrate anaerobically as well as the aerobic bio filtration.

The Kaldnes is the best option for biological filtration as it is the most efficient and then the nitrate/phosphate can be neutralized using vinegar/vodka. The advantage of the Kaldnes media bed is that it does not deplete the oxygen level in the water due to it being in a liquified bed.

I would save my money and go with the Kaldnes media.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 01-13-2015, 03:20 AM

Trevor W is on a distinguished road

I know that this is really popular in the discus and koi hobby. Most people make small air driven pop bottle filters in there discus tanks or put large amounts in sumps with a ton of air to keep it churning and because its so effective it can bring o2 levels lower so alot of air from an airstone is key with large amounts. Once again this is all from the freshwater hobby. This is the first i have heard of it being used in the saltwater hobby but it very well could be used by lots of reefers. I believe it comes in a couple different sizes and was originally developed in germany (i think?) For large scale water treatment plants. If you do a quick google or youtube search you can see tons of the air driven pop bottle filters or sumps.

I am by no means an expert so id do your own research before taking my word as gospel.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:23 AM

Trevor W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi Rich,

The two products do somewhat different jobs. The Kaldnes is just for aerobic biological filtration while the biospheres apparently reduce nitrate anaerobically as well as the aerobic bio filtration.

The Kaldnes is the best option for biological filtration as it is the most efficient and then the nitrate/phosphate can be neutralized using vinegar/vodka. The advantage of the Kaldnes media bed is that it does not deplete the oxygen level in the water due to it being in a liquified bed.

I would save my money and go with the Kaldnes media.

Cheers,
Tim
As you can see I have seen conflicting info that says it will deplete o2 levels. I have not tested it myself just from what i have read on simplydiscus.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka
These are like BioBalls on steroids.
Agreed and these have the ability to not be sludge/detritus traps too.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor W
conflicting info that says it will deplete o2 levels.
It depends on how you implement them. If you have an airline/airstone bubbling in a modified 2 liter pop bottle then it is possible. The method I recommend for hobbyists to implement these would be in a filter sock that has all the water from the overflow flowing through it. Ideally there should be enough water in the filter sock for the incoming water to create a liquified bed for the Kaldnes.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 01-13-2015, 04:47 AM
Vendor

Kraken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It depends on how you implement them. If you have an airline/airstone bubbling in a modified 2 liter pop bottle then it is possible. The method I recommend for hobbyists to implement these would be in a filter sock that has all the water from the overflow flowing through it. Ideally there should be enough water in the filter sock for the incoming water to create a liquified bed for the Kaldnes.

Cheers,
Tim
If you run a protein skimmer, I really doubt there will be an O2 issue tbh. But in my case I have a 72" tall skimmer so