Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 06-01-2012, 03:03 PM

Nano is on a distinguished road
Default Flame Hawk in my tank?

Would this be a bad or good or some where in between kind of Idea?
kinda like the personality of how they perch on things
35g cube, lots of hiding spots/perches will be more once sps and montipora grows in..
just thought I'd get some opinions not planning on adding any fish anytime soon, but
I am always thinking about the "Final Additions" lol

stock list includes

2 Occi Clowns
1 Scooter Dragonet
1 Bangai Cardinal
1 Cherub Angel
&
CUC
Old 06-01-2012, 03:11 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

One of my favourite kinds of fish. Very hard to beat the intensity of red and they tend to pose obligingly if you like to take pictures, haha.

If you got one small enough I think you'd be OK. I had one for nearly 7 years and he was not much bigger than 3.5"-4". The one I have now is more like 2" and is perfectly at home in a 65g.

The one thing you need to watch out for is shrimp. I've never tried shrimp in with mine so I don't know how accurate this is but the urban myths with them is that they will eat cleaner shrimp and the like. You'd think not with the size of their mouths but as the story goes they start with the legs and once the shrimp is immobilized then they're pretty much easy pickings for anyone to finish them off.

That said, I would think if you have big enough shrimp then they'd probably be able to fend for themselves. Small ones though might be iffy. I personally don't chance it.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:12 PM

ensquire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano View Post
Would this be a bad or good or some where in between kind of Idea?
kinda like the personality of how they perch on things
35g cube, lots of hiding spots/perches will be more once sps and montipora grows in..
just thought I'd get some opinions not planning on adding any fish anytime soon, but
I am always thinking about the "Final Additions" lol

stock list includes

2 Occi Clowns
1 Scooter Dragonet
1 Bangai Cardinal
1 Cherub Angel
&
CUC
From what I have read, I think the only danger might be the scooter Dragonet. Do you have any shrimp ?
Old 06-01-2012, 03:16 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

You'd have to choose between shrimp and the hawk fish. An advantage of small tanks is keeping things like sexy shrimp and other small inverts that would normally get lost in larger tanks. I personally wouldn't trade this for a hawk fish.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:17 PM

Nano is on a distinguished road

thanks so far guys, no shrimp can't keep em alive
The scooter was my concern as well as he perches and dwells along the sand so could appear to be competition for the hawk
Old 06-01-2012, 03:19 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

I have a Flame Hawk and can't say that he is a favorite fish of mine. Most of the time he is hiding somewhere, except feeding time. He has not been kind to any of my other "perching" fishes either, like gobies and blennies. Although, that was only temporary when first added. He is in a 135g tank though, and might be more territorial if he was in a 35g.

You won't be able to keep any small shrimp either, like peppermints, in case you ever need to get rid of some aiptasia. Bigger shrimp like cleaners, are OK though.

Color is nice, and the way he moves his eyes when looking around is interesting.

Don't know,... up to you, but wouldn't be my choice.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:37 PM

Bob is on a distinguished road
Default hawk

I have one....and used to have two very large cleaners....
Old 06-01-2012, 03:41 PM

badfish! is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to badfish!

I have one in a 25g, and he seems fine. I have him in with a white faced wasp, leopard, red coris and flasher wrasses and various snails and a hermit crab and an emerald crab. He doesnt really pick on anything, although I did try a cleaner shrimp in there, but who knows who ate him (it was before the red coris, but he still didnt last very long). I had a segmented blenny in there, and the hawk seemed to leave him alone too (who knows what he does when I'm not there). And he is very active, and usually comes and perches at the front of the tank when I'm home. All in all, probably one of my favorite fishes. I also had an arc eye hawk in another tank, with nearly the same personality, I think they are awesome fish to watch, and I think if your adding him in last he should be ok with your dragonet, my arc eye was in with a red scooter and he left him alone completely.