Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 02-16-2012, 01:14 AM

troni is on a distinguished road
Default water price for ro/di

I know I definately need to start using ro/di water but how do you justify all that wasted water? You pay for that water just to dump it? I know there's other uses but I don't have a garden or indoor plants. I don't have a storage container or actually any use for it. 8 think red coral is charginf 3 dollars a g. Doesn't seem to bad.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:04 AM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default water

depends on how much you go through.as of now i do 50 gallons of water change a week and 10-15 gallons of top up.any waste can go in my garden so i'm not worried.if you aren't going through that much you can use your waste in your laundry.at $3 a gallon for top up water i would be better buying 3 nice corals.it's almost the same thing as selling snow to a Eskimo
Old 02-16-2012, 04:02 AM

Bob is on a distinguished road
Default water

Red coraldoes not charge 3 a gallon...one dollar a gallon...and usually free if you happen to buy something...
Old 02-16-2012, 02:18 PM
pyke

Default zero water waste ro/di

I am running a zero waste ro/di so i dont waste any water. look up zero waste ro systems or watts ro zero waste. So I dont waste any water. What kills me is the cost fish stores charge for DI resin. You can buy it at a fraction of the cost if you just go to a water/plumbing supply store.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:14 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

You can also get systems with 1:1 ratios or even better. The difference is typically cost, so if you can't justify the waste spend more on the RO unit.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:19 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I have my system modified for 1:1.5 (good:waste) ratio. It cost me $3 in parts to modify from a "stock" 4-stage.

In the frost-free months I collect the waste water outside in a couple 65 gallon plastic drums that I use with a Mag pump to water the flower and vegetable gardens. In the winter I put some of the waste water into my washing machine, but that's a pain in the butt to pack the 5 gallon pails over there. I tried just putting the waste line in there with a timer, but I still ended up flooding the laundry room regularly.

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:32 PM

Lampshade is on a distinguished road

Good advice on here, thanks. I want to use the water water just because it's well.. a waste. I've got a 1:5 system right now, so with my 50 gallons of water change and 15 gallons of top off in a month it is about 325 gallons. It's only costing about $3 a month for all that water, but still, I'm dumping usable water down the drain.

Then again... we use drinking water in out toilets...
Old 02-16-2012, 05:15 PM

TheMikey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I have my system modified for 1:1.5 (good:waste) ratio. It cost me $3 in parts to modify from a "stock" 4-stage.
Details please!
Old 02-16-2012, 06:25 PM

troni is on a distinguished road

I did some looking and the zero waste just dumps back into your hot water line. If anyone's heard of that answer me this where does it go when its full?

On another note I never actually looked at how much the waste water costs lol, just killed me to see $$$ down the drain.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:00 PM

Lampshade is on a distinguished road

Water costs generally aren't that bad. Here we have a tiered water system, and top price is $2.26m³. A cubic meter is 265 gallons, so that's a lot of water.

If it makes you feel better when I lived in langley with un-metered water I made a waste water cooling system for my tank that ran water through a 1/4" hose coiled in the tank all day to bring the temp down. Worked great :P