Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-15-2012, 05:14 PM

Milad is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Milad
Default Need advice on aptasia

So my tank is starting to get enough aptasia that it's a bit annoying. I just finished a new fish room, sump, and all new lighting. I'm going to be removing Rock from the display and putting them in the sumps. Going to be grabbing non aptasia rock from the sumps to put in the display and rework the rock work.

So my question is
Should I do something with the aptasia rock?
Can I just put it in the sump and get some peppermint shrimp in the display?

Any ideas welcome.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:53 PM

MKLKT is on a distinguished road

You could just chip the aiptasia off since you're pulling the rock out anyway. Burn it off or chisel out the piece below the base.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:00 PM

reefgirl189 is on a distinguished road

I'm all for the peppermint shrimp. They made the DT totally aptasia free in my case. I bought two to clean up over 220 lbs of live rock and I could have gotten by with just one. I haven't seen an aptasia since their introduction and I barely remember what they look like anymore. In your case, I would get a shrimp because aptasia is really stubborn. It's very hard to eradicate it all by hand (though not impossible).
Old 07-15-2012, 06:15 PM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default aptasia

peppermint shrimp work 50% of the time,matted file fish,injecting them with lemon juice,smothering them with kalkwasser paste,pencil blowtorch,zapper,laser,etc.the only problem with all these methods is that if one cell of the aptasia is left,it will grow into more.berghia eat the whole aptasia,and they are reef safe.putting aptasia in the sump will populate the sump with aptasia,and most likely spread to the display
Old 07-15-2012, 07:27 PM

wow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocus View Post
peppermint shrimp work 50% of the time,matted file fish,injecting them with lemon juice,smothering them with kalkwasser paste,pencil blowtorch,zapper,laser,etc.the only problem with all these methods is that if one cell of the aptasia is left,it will grow into more.berghia eat the whole aptasia,and they are reef safe.putting aptasia in the sump will populate the sump with aptasia,and most likely spread to the display
do u know where i can buy berghia nudibranch locally?
Old 07-15-2012, 07:43 PM

dc4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wow View Post
do u know where i can buy berghia nudibranch locally?
I'm pretty sure he knows.....he breeds them so send him a pm. I may have to pick up a few too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-15-2012, 11:33 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I have found Peppermint Shrimp to be the best Aiptasia eliminators. They are hit or miss though, so I suggest buying a group preferably from more than one source. In a 180 gallon tank you could easily have 6 or more as long as you don't have any Wrasses or such that will kill the shrimp.

SPS fanatic.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:51 AM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default aptasia

yes i breed them-but i won't have any ready till the begining of september
Old 07-16-2012, 07:04 AM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I have found Peppermint Shrimp to be the best Aiptasia eliminators. They are hit or miss though, so I suggest buying a group preferably from more than one source. In a 180 gallon tank you could easily have 6 or more as long as you don't have any Wrasses or such that will kill the shrimp.
So I have 1- 6 line wrasse in my display tank right now, is it just peppermint shrimp they go after? He does not seem to bother the cleaner shrimp.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:23 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

If he doesn't bother the Cleaner Shrimp then try just one LARGE Peppermint Shrimp and see what the 6-Line does. Add the shrimp at night after the wrasse goes to sleep. Peppermints are very cryptic though, so you won't usually see them, so look for shed exoskeleton to know that he's still alive. Hehe. I have a Peppermint in my display with a Grey Head Wrasse (jerk). The Peppermint was there before the wrasse, and the wrasse was small when added. I can't add any new shrimp (or Emerald crabs) though because the wrasse will kill them.

SPS fanatic.