Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-20-2016, 02:47 PM

corpusse is on a distinguished road
Default Outdoor water storage is it possible outside of BC?

I am not aware of anyone doing this but I've also never considered it. I've just moved into a basementless house and for the first time in my life the tanks will be in the living space of the house not tucked away in the basement. That being said a fishroom is impossible for now and I need somewhere to store water.

Ideally I will have my 2 55 gallon drums one for RO and one for salt water. I am considering everything from a solar powered shed that powers either a spaceheater or the water heaters to using a woodstove, to keeping the water super salty and avoid major winter water changes. Basically I'm throwing this out there for ideas. I am in Northern Ontario so it's going to get COLD.

The backup plan is sticking one barrel in a corner of the house and covering it with wood to look like a table or something but ideally I can find a way to make this work outside.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:50 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Do you have a garage?

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 09-20-2016, 02:57 PM

No I don't unfortunately.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:05 PM

lyall12 is on a distinguished road

What about using a fish pond heater?

Maybe wrap the drums in insulation, then use a small fish pond heater to keep it from freezing.

Next challenge will be getting it transferred without freezing the lines.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:43 PM

The pond heater is an excellent idea. As far as getting it into the house without freezing I don't think that will be an issue. A high powered pump will get it in quickly and if its -20 I won't be doing a massive water change.

Moving out here was hard enough. Getting the reefs setup is a whole different kind of hard.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:48 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Consider building an insulated shed on the side of the house. You could then heat by connecting to your existing furnace vents or run something separate. The shed could be used as sump/fish room as well if strategic placement is possible.

That all said though if the only purpose of all this is water storage, delete the water storage. It's a far stretch from a necessity.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:47 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Both are great ideas. The only issue with the insulation/heater idea is if he will be using an RO unit. Theres not much that can keep that from freezing. And with the tiny lines it will be the first thing to freeze.

Making a shed is costly, and heating it is even more so. If you can easily manage something like Steve suggested, then that is your best option to tie it to the house.

I vote making a table disguise out of wood and hiding everything underneath. You could make a cool bar or something on top to make it even more enjoyable.

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 09-21-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Consider building an insulated shed on the side of the house. You could then heat by connecting to your existing furnace vents or run something separate. The shed could be used as sump/fish room as well if strategic placement is possible.

That all said though if the only purpose of all this is water storage, delete the water storage. It's a far stretch from a necessity.
I like this idea the best. Of course it will cost and we really don't have the money for this now. That being said winter will probably get here before we get going on any longish term option so maybe by next spring we can do this. If the barrels have to stay in a main room in the house for one year my family is probably okay with that. Since this is our "forever" home I do want to get the tank(s) to the point where changing water is turning a valve and turning on a pump or at the very least pulling some hose line.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:08 PM

Allpointswest is on a distinguished road

Do you have a crawl space of any sort? Or an attic? maybe with careful placement you can put something up there and plumb it. it would be a pain to add salt to your salt res but you could pre mix it and pump it up as well. (just thinking out side the box lol) another idea is look for a different shape water storage. Maybe something that is tall and skinny that will fit behind coats in a closet or long and short for under a bed.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:14 PM

lyall12 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allpointswest View Post
Do you have a crawl space of any sort? Or an attic? maybe with careful placement you can put something up there and plumb it. it would be a pain to add salt to your salt res but you could pre mix it and pump it up as well. (just thinking out side the box lol) another idea is look for a different shape water storage. Maybe something that is tall and skinny that will fit behind coats in a closet or long and short for under a bed.
That's not a bad idea. I had a look last year at different water tanks. You can actually get some low profile rectangular tanks for RV water storage. Might be able to effectively hide those inside somewhere.