Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures > POTM

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 02:49 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
so let me get this straight, you voted for it, yet you're complaining about it? Say what ??

I do like that this subject has generated a lot more discussion than previous POTMs.
It's not complaining. I was kinda sticking up for the FW guys.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:05 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

The Jesters that voted for it won the day. Once it's posted I'm sure it will really show visitors...... ummm well, not sure what it will show them..
Old 08-06-2014, 07:38 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Ok, what is that? What's the story? Every abstract art has a story.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:28 PM

tlhood is on a distinguished road

This specimen was collected from the remote jungle area of YY’Cbeltline. It’s pink colour, much like flamingoes, comes from its strict diet of shrimp. Not only has this bright colouration made it a quite sought-after fish, but also its unique physiology. Due to its natural habitat and specific diet, the robotridiprintidae has evolved to have both its eyes on one side of its head, so that when hunting or when threatened, it can lie flat and cover itself with mud. This behavior has also made it quite difficult to locate and capture.

Some scientists theorize that this species of fish excretes a toxin of sorts, which provokes unpredictable emotional response from surrounding living creatures. Although not thoroughly proven via experiment, it is believed within some sects of the scientific community that this toxin either inspires joyful sentiments, or the opposite. This possibility of inspiring an aggressive response makes it wise to provide it with solitary habitation, and careful handling. It is unknown why or how this fish uses the toxin to its advantage.

the real story:

I only got into reefing at the end of December/early January, and have until recently, been a fairly shy and quiet member of the forum. In fact, the majority of my 300 odd posts are probably from the Canada Corals Jeopardy competition, during which a lot of silly answers, jokes and friends were made. When the photo was posted, it was mid-July and there weren't any other submissions. I try to post something for every POTM if I can meet the requirements (couldn't do the anthias one, etc), and since there weren't any other photos and I don't have a true freshwater tank, I “made my creative debut”.

Being a bit of a "jester" as someone called it, I wanted to do something that was kind of funny, light hearted, and maybe a bit cheeky (and it was almost midnight, which may have played a factor), more or less for some giggles rather than to win. From the past few POTM threads, a lot of people seemed to take it perhaps a bit too seriously, whereas I see it as an opportunity to have fun in showcasing creativity, skill in photography (or lack thereof – as in my case), prized pieces, and/or foster some communal “ohhs”, “ahhs”, and/or “hey good job, congrats, great picture, jealous of your fish/crab/coral/setup”s. Besides, the prize is bragging rights, a badge, and for me, some laughs – if there were a sponsored prize, obviously I wouldn’t of made the submission. The votings/comments in the entry thread evidenced that it served its purpose in humoring people. I was actually quite surprised at the outcome, and am equally surprised at the mixed response. I don't think the photo ruins the quality of other submissions and other winners. Each winner, and each person who submits, shares their photos because it is unique, beautiful, or cool in their perspective. All that really matters in the end is that the submission was shared for other people to see - win or lose.

The "fish" is a robot printed with my friends 3D printer. It was actually a pain to get it in that position because it floats, and flips onto its back. I had to do the "hold it in the spot and take a blur of photos as I whipped my hand out" technique. I also wanted to give it an “authentic” feel and added some vegetation.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:05 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Haha. That's a great response. You truly have a creative side. I thought that was some sort of alcoholic cocktail at first.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:00 PM

Why is it still showing slyguy's photo?
Old 08-12-2014, 02:01 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhood View Post
Why is it still showing slyguy's photo?
Sorry, we are having some technical difficulties. I'm working on it..
Old 08-12-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Sorry, we are having some technical difficulties. I'm working on it..
Oh good. I thought I was going to have to unleash my toxin secreting robo-fish.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:19 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhood View Post
Oh good. I thought I was going to have to unleash my toxin secreting robo-fish.
Pics please!

Unfortunately there is only one staff member who has the ability to change the POTM (and TOTM) links/images, and he has been away all last week. When he gets back he will address it I'm sure :-)
Old 08-12-2014, 05:07 PM

Coral Hoarder is on a distinguished road

Wayst of a potm not the subject but the pic I mean in going to look at that when I log on I'd rather look at a cool coral or fish any day
Closed Thread