Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-06-2017, 05:59 PM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefMadness View Post
along with this i've also been following a couple threads on dinos that promote the use of uv. interestingly, one of the more lengthy threads outright claims that metro has little to no effect on 95% of the dino strains subjected to it.
while i don't have any visible results to show just yet in my battle, the latest strategy is simply keeping nutrients consistently above zero. the thought is that untraceable nutrients are creating a perfect environment and supposedly a big reason why dinos are taking hold the first place.
uv is also mentioned as a good strategy while doing this as well so i can see myself skimming over amazon today for an entry level model to test this out with.
You are probably right from what I have read they will return. It is nice to give the corals a bit of a break for a couple weeks. I will be putting a UV sterilizer to work and am going to start adding phosphates and nitrates to see if that helps.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:09 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

I absolutely hate dinoflagellates...horrible.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:11 PM
Gold Member

Day 15 update: I added a hang on tank UV sterilizer, I am still running the magnum micron filter changing filter every few days. I am also adding phosphates and nitrates to keep these numbers so they register. My tank had very low phosphates and un-measureable nitrates which likely added to the problem.

So far things look good, corals are growing again, polyps extending.

Keeping fingers crossed.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:42 PM

crimper is on a distinguished road

Hey Frogger, any updates on this?

I'm battling dino again. It started when I used AF Component 1+2+3+ I should have ditch that crap.

Hope you're tank is back to it's old glory.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:29 PM
Gold Member

Ok so I attacked it with a multi-pronged approach and I seem to have gotten it under control. The metronidazole as stated earlier only temporarily gives you relief. If you do not deal with the other issues it will just come back.

I added a UV sterilizer and kept my micron filter running. Believe it or not I started adding phosphates and nitrates to get my values up out of the basement. I have read that the Dynos are a low nutrient loving organism and competition is the way to go. Since adding phosphates and nitrates I have encouraged some hair algae and coralline algae to colonize the rock work. The hair algae is a lot easier to control with grazers. I am working at getting my grazing population up and everything should be fine. I still have a tiny bit of dynos but they are not actively growing.

This tank is an experimental tank and I use it primarily as a quarantine tank for new arrivals. I will be taking it apart completely trashing the rock and resetting it up as a frag tank in the future so I have nothing to loose and can gain a whole lot of knowledge from it.

Over the past 8 months I went from Byopisis to cyno to dynos and now I have some hair algae. The tank has a 6" plenum in it and has been set up for over 17 years. So nothing I do short of disassembly and removing the plenum will fix the problem.

The glory days of this tank was 12 to 15 years ago when it was stunning.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:20 AM

crimper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger View Post
Ok so I attacked it with a multi-pronged approach and I seem to have gotten it under control. The metronidazole as stated earlier only temporarily gives you relief. If you do not deal with the other issues it will just come back.

I added a UV sterilizer and kept my micron filter running. Believe it or not I started adding phosphates and nitrates to get my values up out of the basement. I have read that the Dynos are a low nutrient loving organism and competition is the way to go. Since adding phosphates and nitrates I have encouraged some hair algae and coralline algae to colonize the rock work. The hair algae is a lot easier to control with grazers. I am working at getting my grazing population up and everything should be fine. I still have a tiny bit of dynos but they are not actively growing.
Thanks for the update Frogger.

That's an interesting findings. The time that dino appeared in my tank is the time when I started dosing AF Component 123 and after my tank hit 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate. I'm still struggling to raise nitrates and phosphates at this time as I continue to dose nitrate and i'm feeding heavy just to keep my nutrients above 0.

I have a UV in my display tank that I can use to help stop it from taking over.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:46 AM
Gold Member

In my reef tank I was having trouble with my lack of nutrients. The colours on my sps were pale. I started adding nitrates to get my nitrates up to a readable amount on my Redsea Pro nitirate test kit and I unfortunately crashed my phosphates. I lost about half of my corals and it took me several months to get my tank turned around.

What I have found I have to add both potassium nitrate and potassium phosphate twice a day (will be setting up to a doser) at a ratio of 3 to 1. I still can't get a measureable amount of nitrates but I can keep my phosphates at a good number. To my 75 gallon tank I am adding 6mls of KNO3 daily. I am slowly increasing the dose to try to get my nitrates to a measurable amount. The colours on my corals and the growth rate are better then they ever were before.