Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Controller and Monitoring Specific

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-01-2010, 03:11 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road
Default A few questions before buying a controller

I am looking at getting a controller for my 120 gallon reef, probably an Apex but I am not sure. I have never used a controller before.

The functions I would want to use are: lights timer, temperature control for heater, pH control for calcium reactor, and float switch to shut off my skimmer in case of overflow. Later on if I switch to controllable powerheads I would use that function too. And I would want to control LED lights when I make the switch in 1 to 2 years. Also I might remove my Tunze osmolator and run the top-off through my controller if that makes things simpler.

Questions:

1. Has anyone used the Apex controller with a Macbook? Any problems using a Mac to interface with the controller?

2. I have read that if I buy a video game wireless connector then plug it into the Apex I can run wireless control off the internet, for people who have done this how easy is it and how well does it work?

3. Where are people putting the hardware (display screen box and main controller box) for their controllers? Under my stand space is tight, I am not keen on having hundreds of dollars of electronics right next to a bunch of saltwater. I have thought of building a splash-proof cover in case of drips and splashes but then heat build up might be a problem. Or drilling a hole though the stand and mounting the display unit on the outside of the stand and running the cable through to the inside of the stand. Any thoughts on this please.

4. From talking to a vendor it seems every time you want to add a function you need to buy extra stuff and the dollars add up fast, any comments on this. For example if I want a float switch on my skimmer cup then I need a special add-on box for this, etc etc. Can they not just have one controller unit that handles whatever you plug into it?

5. Where are controllers on the technology cost curve? Eg. with LED lighting it is clear that a couple of years from now they will be better and cheaper, same with someone who bought an HDTV five years ago. Are controllers pretty well established and stable as far as their functions and pricing, or do they continue to improve in performance and decrease in price at a rapid rate?
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge