Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-03-2010, 03:22 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Hey, that will make a cool fish room inside the stairs. Too bad there isn't any water supply nearby.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:34 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I'm going to run some pex from where the washer and dryer will be over to that spot under the stairs for a wash tub. Then plumb a drain with pvc back around that room to the washing machine drain. I don't intend to finish that side of the basement so it's free reign!
Old 01-03-2010, 03:40 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
I'm going to run some pex from where the washer and dryer will be over to that spot under the stairs for a wash tub. Then plumb a drain with pvc back around that room to the washing machine drain. I don't intend to finish that side of the basement so it's free reign!

Excellent! A fish room with no water is almost as bad as a bar with no water.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:06 AM

shrimpchips is on a distinguished road

Hey Brett, how is the wife doing? Hoepfully the new year sees her getting much better

Just curious as to why the builder talked you out of starphire glass? Is it the scratching of the glass, or other factors?

I just got a quote for the 120 (48 x 24 x 24) I want to build this year and the price was pleasntly lower than what I had expected.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:13 AM

andestang is on a distinguished road

I'm betting on Colby He tried talking me out of starphire for mine. Say Hi to wife and family and hope all is well

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpchips View Post
Hey Brett, how is the wife doing? Hoepfully the new year sees her getting much better

Just curious as to why the builder talked you out of starphire glass? Is it the scratching of the glass, or other factors?

I just got a quote for the 120 (48 x 24 x 24) I want to build this year and the price was pleasntly lower than what I had expected.

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:52 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Wife is doing great guys thanks for asking. I'm Mr Mom here at home and I'm busy but we're enjoying each day together at home and the kids are getting even more attention than before. I never thought that was possible! Reality is I need to get myself back to work because I have a mountain of work to catch up on.

I was actually speaking to Jason over at Elite today about my build and he spoke about how much softer low iron glass is. That as well as me remembering I want to keep this build reasonably priced lead me to scrapping starphire once again. I had been considering a DIY tank but after our discussion I'll be taking my business there again. Jason's not only a nice guy to talk to but I trust his work to be both safe and dead sexy.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:37 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Wife is doing great guys thanks for asking. I'm Mr Mom here at home and I'm busy but we're enjoying each day together at home and the kids are getting even more attention than before. I never thought that was possible! Reality is I need to get myself back to work because I have a mountain of work to catch up on.

I was actually speaking to Jason over at Elite today about my build and he spoke about how much softer low iron glass is. That as well as me remembering I want to keep this build reasonably priced lead me to scrapping starphire once again. I had been considering a DIY tank but after our discussion I'll be taking my business there again. Jason's not only a nice guy to talk to but I trust his work to be both safe and dead sexy.
If I ever did a tank again (and I probably will) I would definitely take it to a pro like Colby (or Jason or Gary). Slapping my 104.72g was kinda fun but I'm not sure I would want to do it again for anything larger than a sump :-) It was rather time consuming, but I did save buckets of money, but opportunity cost and all that jazz right?

When I was getting quotes for my 150g pretty much everyone I talked to told me not to get starphire because scratching issues. I have seen starphire side by side with regular glass and I can't honestly say that I can tell the difference
Old 01-03-2010, 06:40 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I think in <1/2" glass you don't really need go to low-iron. At 1/2" it's 50/50 and if you're going >1/2" then it's probably worth it. I notice the difference in 1/2", but that's me.

If clarity is really an issue then you should consider acrylic because it's even more optically clear than low-iron glass. But it's even softer, so will scratch way easier. And you have to brace the heck out of the tank. But on the plus side you can buff the scratches out of acrylic.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:13 AM
Gold Member

I'm fussy and see the difference even in glass thinner than 1/2" but after we build these tanks we fill them with blue light. I don't know when I forget myself for a second I auto-steer to whatever people consider the cadillac of whatever. In this case I think starphire makes little sense to my wallet or my eyes.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:29 AM

burrows14 is on a distinguished road

I see your thinking about going with a bubble magus! I ordered one a few weeks ago and should have it up and running later this week. Ill keep you posted

cheers
Ray