Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 01-14-2014, 02:43 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

I cant find the Nova A8 on those links that were posted. Did they discontinue them?

I'm scrapping my RapidLED abortion build for something like the A8 or D120 Think the A8 I could use 2 but the D120 I will need 3. 60x24x24 tank.

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 01-14-2014, 02:47 AM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

I ordered my a8 directly from evergrow. No middle man. Email them and ask.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:55 AM

Thx, was there a color pattern you asked for or did they have a good combo figured out?

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 01-14-2014, 03:20 AM
Vendor

nrosdal is on a distinguished road

The A8 is an awesome and powerful light. I do like the front to back coverage it gives being 11" deep as opposed to most other fixtures that are narrower. If you do decide to go that way i can email you a layout from when we used to sell them to use for reference. Or if you look back in this thread Coasting put up a layout that may need a bit of work but is an ok starting point.

Last edited by nrosdal; 01-14-2014 at 03:22 AM. Reason: i forgot how to read...
Old 01-14-2014, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrosdal View Post
The A8 is an awesome and powerful light. I do like the front to back coverage it gives being 11" deep as opposed to most other fixtures that are narrower. If you do decide to go that way i can email you a layout from when we used to sell them to use for reference. Or if you look back in this thread Coasting put up a layout that may need a bit of work but is an ok starting point.
That would be awesome Nick. You have used them? How come not selling them anymore? And personal opinion on a softie tank, 60x24x24 Would 2 A8 be perfect or overkill? And am I right that I would need 3 D120's as there only 16" long and narrow, correct?

I don't get a lot of computer research time and fall off on a lot of the threads. But I am just fed up with my DIY Cree/Multichip lights.

dan@banditpowdercoat.com

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 01-14-2014, 03:36 AM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrosdal View Post
. Or if you look back in this thread Coasting put up a layout that may need a bit of work but is an ok starting point.
Oh gee thanks....
Old 01-14-2014, 04:00 AM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

I have the bare bones d120s. Two over my 4' 70g.

Looks great!

My rbta never bubbled under my t5. But it loves this.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:03 AM
Vendor

nrosdal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
That would be awesome Nick. You have used them? How come not selling them anymore? And personal opinion on a softie tank, 60x24x24 Would 2 A8 be perfect or overkill? And am I right that I would need 3 D120's as there only 16" long and narrow, correct?

I don't get a lot of computer research time and fall off on a lot of the threads. But I am just fed up with my DIY Cree/Multichip lights.

dan@banditpowdercoat.com
They were not a big seller due to most people don't need that much power (it would be overkill for most sps tanks with the area it covers and how much wattage is available in it) but more is better then not enough. For a softie tank 3 d120 is tons and would even allow for most sps in the top 2/3 of the tank. But the a8 is a beauty and would allow for sps on sand and burnt stuff everywhere else if you have on full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coasting View Post
Oh gee thanks....
haha, its all personal preference. Some people order standard layout from me and want 15 extra white or blues and switch the fixture to look either like a urine color or make a listerine color tank and are happy when i wouldn't be.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:31 AM

SteveCGY is on a distinguished road

Anyone ever buy from this guy? His prices seem cheap

http://m.ebay.ca/itm?itemId=330900426092
Old 01-14-2014, 04:54 PM

tim the toolman is on a distinguished road

I have 2 IT2080 running over my 180 gal and they are great. I get full coverage at about 6" above the water line. I actually had to move them up a little because it seemed my fish were afraid to come to the surface due to how bright they were lol. I am mostly running lps but I do have a few sps that are doing just fine. Programming them was a breeze and I really like the fact they throw in a remote. Also another nice part is that one remote runs both fixtures so I just keep the second remote as a spare. When you consider the fact that companies like AI charge a premium for a controller or a remote I think this is a great incentive.
I also should add that I ordered these fixtures from Nick and the customer service was A+.
I did not use the stock mounting fixtures because I did not want to hang them but due to the large lip surrounding the underside of the fixture it made it very simple to DIY a mount over the tank.
To date I have still never ran them at 100%. I think at peak my colour channel runs at 100 and the whites only get to 75.
I will throw a couple pics up following this post.