Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-31-2013, 02:14 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

ok, what if the lifter pump fails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burge1234 View Post
water changes on this set up are easier than any other tank i have had. The water level is right at your hips in the lower tank. The air bubbles get sucked out by the lifter pump which also fills the tank. You can actually have an air stone running into the upper tank and the lifter pump taking it out. As for a leaky seal......... Isnt that a disaster in every application??????
Old 02-02-2013, 02:13 PM

burge1234 is on a distinguished road

If you drill a small hole in your return line just under the water level, or at the level that your sump can hold you won't have a flood. When your pump turns off it will siphon out your tank until it gets to that hole you drilled and then lose its siphon. Run your return all the way to the bottom of your tank with that trick.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:25 PM

Absolutely. What I did not see coming was people telling me how it is and saying it's a terrible idea. If you don't like the idea ok. But saying things like it can't have a sump and all the other things posted in here saying how it is when it's really not the case is what ****es a person off. And you do have access to the tank from the bottom. I can reach every corner of the upper tank with my hand. As for the glass thing I can kind of understand that but I am using sapphire glass which is crystal clear glass and doesn't filter colours. But yes I can understand that some people may not like it. Personal preferences is fine by me. Saying it's a terrible idea because it's not your preference is called rude buddy
Old 02-02-2013, 02:32 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Saying it's a terrible idea because it's not your preference is called rude buddy
Don't let them get ya down. You seem to me like you know what you're doing and I for one would love to see more of it :-)
Old 02-02-2013, 02:43 PM

Thanks I appreciate it. As for more pictures you will have to wait until I at least get the upper tank built or at least get the cabinetry work all done. Cheers
Old 02-02-2013, 02:45 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks I appreciate it. As for more pictures you will have to wait until I at least get the upper tank built or at least get the cabinetry work all done. Cheers
Awesome, now how about that build journal? :-)
Old 02-03-2013, 01:50 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Saying it's a terrible idea because it's not your preference is called rude buddy
How true. I think it is a neat system just not for me. I like to see new and different ideas myself, even if they dont turn out. (Not saying this wont ) i have tried several things myself that were doomed from the start. Difference is no one said anything till after i threw money down the toilet

If this is what you want go for it. I personaly would lile to know how you get you hand in the tank to do something though it looks like there is onlu a couple inches of room in that picture.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:32 PM

Yes with that tank you can barely get your arm in. I just set that tank up foe a trial phase. It's just a regular tank sitting on some aluminium blocks to see how this concept will work. The custom tank being built will be about 12" taller and have a window cut out at the bottom 5" tall and span 30" I built a mock up out of wood just to get the sizes right
Old 02-26-2013, 07:11 PM

Kitkat4ever is on a distinguished road

I'm excited about this build because if I was just about to start on a project very similar to this. I went to my local glass shop today to get a price estimate on the glass & he looked at me like I had lobsters crawling out of my ears. After a few minutes of explaining he finally said ok I'll cut the glass for u as many times as u need me to, it ain't gonna work but ill take ur money. All these derogatory remarks just makes me want to prove them all wrong :-)

Good luck on this I'm sure it will be awesome

Tags
alberta, aquarium, calagry, concept, open bottom