Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 09-16-2010, 05:43 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Of course while all of this is going on in the tank summer is in full swing which meant lots of time outside with the family and a few site trips to Atlanta for business thrown in there. It was a brutally busy summer. By August I decided a major intervention was required and started doing 10% water changes every other day with a 50% water change on the weekend. Let me just say that 50% water changes on a 321g system is not fun!!

By mid August things had started to settle down in the tank and I could see improvement. The remaining colonies that didn't completely kick the salt bucket were starting to get their colour back which mostly all of them had lost. I also noticed a few colonies that had lost their tips started to encrust over them. Like this guy.

Because I was spending so much time trying to fight this "event" I didn't really have much time for other non essential maintenance like algae scrubbing. By this time the tank glass was a spectacular array of algaes. Nothing a few hours of elbow grease can't fix though.

Last edited by kien; 09-16-2010 at 06:02 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:50 AM

I'm not really one to dwell too much on the doom and gloom so to look on the bright side of things, the tank didn't completely crash! In fact, everyone else is doing perfectly fine. Clams are doing well, all LPS, zoas, fish, happy as can be. The few remaining colonies are in recovery mode and starting to come around.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:55 AM

As you can see the Reef is still here, the FOWLR is still here and we're back on track.

So what the heck happened? Who the heck knows. Maybe SPS chemical warfare that reached a critical mass, maybe some sort of pathogen like a virus or protozoan. All I know is, whatever it was, it helped to clear much needed reef real estate for me to buy more corals
Old 09-16-2010, 06:01 AM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

wow i really feel your lost. I am very sorry to hear. have you checked your carbon?
Old 09-16-2010, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleus View Post
wow i really feel your lost. I am very sorry to hear. have you checked your carbon?
thanks.. and yes it is the same carbon that I've been using for a year now and the same carbon I'm still using today. Lignite RoX 0.8 carbon, great stuff actually.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:40 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

I know what your feeling buddy, pulled out a stupid amount of coral over the summer. Tank is still looking wicked, on the bright side now you can beat me to all the nice coral... like usual .
Old 09-16-2010, 06:41 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Ouch. Having lived through several inexplicable SPS die offs, I feel your pain.

Like I've said before sometimes it's not even really a testable parameter. There's so much stuff at play, when an event happens, our attempts at an investigation can sometimes just be the Texas sharpshooter syndrome. You hope whatever it was is resolved and hope for the best sometimes.

But, like you hinted .. onwards and upwards. Your tanks sure have a good look to them still.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:45 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

That is heartbreaking man. Those pics are tough to look at having seen that tank in person before. Great attitude about it all and not only are you not going soft(ie) on us you're plowing ahead with the sps. Not sure there's much I can help with but if you need me to break off anything to kick start you let me know.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
. Your tanks sure have a good look to them still.
Thanks! Ya if you stand way back and squint it doesn't look so bad just don't put your face to the glass.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:11 AM

zum14 is on a distinguished road

Wow. Hard to read that. There was more in that bucket then in my entire tank. I think the hardest part about it all is not knowing what caused the problem. Seems to be a hard year for SPS.... Sorry about the loss and I can only hope that I can be as calm as you are with the situation. Tank is still show worthy!

"Nah, unless they got any big, giant robot camels I think were ok."

"Ah.....Jim.......robot camels"