Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-17-2014, 03:44 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqlmao View Post
Those feather dusters must of polished that water real good before entering the sump. Is that the secret to those amazing corals? Now the new trend, everyone on Canreef is going to start dumping worms in their overflow box.

Thats what I thought. Kool looking overflow. But scary. There be boogins in der.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:54 PM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
They definitely got to a point where I became too afraid to venture into my overflow.. That was three years ago. 3 more years on that and my overflow was probably harbouring some interesting things under the various strata of detritus, debris, feather dusters, aiptasia..
Oh Hulk up and just slam your gloveless hand into your sump; right to the bottom! Come on, prove you're tough

Actually I envy you; you're blessed with an abundance of various marine life that grows wild in your tank. My tank doesn't have anything I didn't deliberately put in other than a chiton and one or possibly two pistol shrimp I hear from time to time. I put some coral in yesterday that had a couple mini-stars tucked away on the bottom so maybe that will increase my bio-diversity.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:17 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

this seems like a good time to resurrect this while we look back on your overflow's varied appearances.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:08 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I need to do the same to my overflow box, it looks much the same. If I could just vacuum up the mud on the bottom and let the featherdusters be I would but they are so delicate that it's impossible.

I've kind of given up on being nice to them in my sump, I take my floor pump and vacuum up the detritus that settles in there. The pump sounds like a blender and it's nasty but I don't know what else to do about it. That amount of mud settling on the bottom has to be harboring the baddie nutrients.

On Saturday I tried to use a turkey baster to clean out the mud from my 65g's sump but the H2S smell it released told me to stop and just empty out the whole thing and clean it at the sink. I didn't even do the skimmer but it needs a powerscrub as well but it was already hours of my life as it was.

I shudder at the thought of eventually doing the same to my big tank's sump. I'm hoping that that water change vacuum trick lets me push that particular task back for a while for the time being..
Old 03-18-2014, 01:24 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough
Default When it rains..

and in case anyone was curious what a leaky 2" gate valve looks like, it looks a lot like this..

In other news, I'm looking for suggestions on how to possibly repair a leaky gate valve. It's leaking at the handle's shaft. I tried to screw in the handle tighter but that didn't seem to help. I did manage to turn it into a position that seemed to stop the leaking but if I move it in any direction from this point it'll start leaking again
Old 03-18-2014, 02:52 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

You need to stop water going to the valve. Then unscrew the large nut under the handle. There is a gland usually there that will stop the water from coming out.
If you are lucky, its an O ring and you need to replace, otherwise, might be a proprietary rubber seal.
First try tightening that large nut under the handle. It should be snug, don't overtighten.
After replacing the hopefully, O ring, smear just a little silicone on the rubber. Always makes them last longer.

Last edited by hillegom; 03-18-2014 at 02:58 AM. Reason: added
Old 03-18-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillegom View Post
You need to stop water going to the valve. Then unscrew the large nut under the handle. There is a gland usually there that will stop the water from coming out.
If you are lucky, its an O ring and you need to replace, otherwise, might be a proprietary rubber seal.
First try tightening that large nut under the handle. It should be snug, don't overtighten.
After replacing the hopefully, O ring, smear just a little silicone on the rubber. Always makes them last longer.
Thanks for that! I will have to see if I'm brave enough to operate on the valve..
Old 03-18-2014, 02:53 PM

Seriak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Thanks for that! I will have to see if I'm brave enough to operate on the valve..
Old 03-18-2014, 08:52 PM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriak View Post
+1 on the waterboy reference.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:07 AM

Default Coral pics.

For all you top-down photo haterZ (you know who you are), here are some random non-top-down photos I took this evening. All taken under 22K T5s only (my evening lights), and the water is a bit dirty from my new goby kicking up my dust bed.

Electric Orange Mushrooms.

Coral Master's Rainbow Stylophora.

Tyree Undata.

No-Name Favia

Sunset Monti.

One of Two Ponape Birdnests.

Second Ponape Birdsnest in another location (beside a Poker Star Monti)

blastos.

bubble coral.

Plane Jane Green Stylophora

Duncans.

Purple Stylophora

Red Goniopora.