Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 09-17-2015, 09:29 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Elliot, for the kind words. My tank, fish and corals are all fine now. But have to say, though, that due to recent events, have lost some enthusiasm for this hobby.

Never thought I would feel this bad over losing four fish, but how it happened, I guess, is what really hurts. I have always had very healthy fish and felt good with my QT/tank husbandry practices. So to lose them (O2 deprivation) because I wasn't prepared for a power outage is inexcusable.

My shoulder is coming along well, but will still be a while before I can do much with the tank. As a result, coralline is slowly building up on my acrylic tank walls (needs to be seriously scraped every 2 months), so would be hard to get a good FTS right now (with my auto focus cams). I know I have had lots of offers to help (and I appreciate that), but this is something I need to be able to do myself. Hopefully in a few months (I start physio next week) will be able to get back at it.

I may be able to hold my cam in the water (underwater Olympus cam), so might take a few in tank shots when I get a chance.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:45 PM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

glad to hear your starting to feel better Walter. Hopefully your enthusiasm comes back soon, your tank is awesome
Old 09-20-2015, 12:26 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Hope you recover quickly Walter
Sorry to hear about the losses of you 'fave kids
Chin up ... now you can buy new ones
Old 09-20-2015, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyguy00 View Post
glad to hear your starting to feel better Walter. Hopefully your enthusiasm comes back soon, your tank is awesome
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Hope you recover quickly Walter
Sorry to hear about the losses of you 'fave kids
Chin up ... now you can buy new ones
Oh, I'll be OK... But thanks for your thoughts. I just get frustrated and impatient with not being able to do stuff as before (and not just talking about my reef tanks). Haven't flown for over a month now either, which I also really miss. And not sure when I will be able to get back to that, hopefully in a month or two. Am driving now though, (not a standard), so at least I am mobile.

As for my tanks, did some major pruning just before the surgery, so it is still OK (except for the coralline build-up). Water changes are easy enough. But will wait another couple months before I buy any more fish. At least my current inhabitants are all happy for now. And if we do have another wind storm, am prepared now. Brought back a power pack and a generator from the cabin, so all ready if another power outage does happen.

I still want to do a major reset of my upstairs tank, and get rid of all those pesky mushrooms. Maybe later this winter. But the longer I wait, the less clean rock I will have left, as they are taking over everything, and continuing to crowd out my SPS. And to think I once thought they looked pretty....
Old 09-20-2015, 10:25 PM

AquaAddict is on a distinguished road
Default Fish and Shoulder

Hi Walter,

Hang in there with your shoulder. Mine is 85% healed after lots of physio. I should go back but I am tired of "hanging-in-there. Just do as I say not as I do.

Sooooo sorry to hear about your fish. I just lost my 11 year old Watchman Goby and I am missing him as well.

AquaAddict
Old 09-29-2015, 04:21 AM

crimper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
Thanks, Mylon. And wow, 2 heart surgeries. Glad you're still with us!! My shoulder surgery is pretty minor compared to that, just more of an inconvenience now with my right arm in a sling. I'll be all good in a couple months. And sorry about your SPS loss. Hopefully, your recovery goes well and you'll be able to fully enjoy the hobby again as well.
I was already dead for 35 mins and was sent back as they said they haven't built my tank up there yet. I'm fully recovered now and been back working again.

By the way I spotted some Pear Scales at King Ed, I actually got one for myself so that my Copperband has company. I think there is 3 more left in there just in case you want a replacement for your Pearl Scales.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimper View Post
I was already dead for 35 mins and was sent back as they said they haven't built my tank up there yet. I'm fully recovered now and been back working again.

By the way I spotted some Pear Scales at King Ed, I actually got one for myself so that my Copperband has company. I think there is 3 more left in there just in case you want a replacement for your Pearl Scales.
Wow, indeed!!... Well, really good to hear that your recovery is going well! And good luck with your tank, too.

Yeah, I have seen the Pearlscales in King Ed from time to time, so will likely go there when I am ready. For now, still holding off until I am a little more mobile with my arm and able to do more stuff with my tanks. Probably in a couple months will be ready to buy more fish.