Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Oceanic Corals > Everything Pellets

Old 05-23-2010, 10:52 PM
Moved on

OceanicCorals-Ian- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Did the pellets ship already then? Haven't received them yet. Really hoping the TLF/MJ1200 combo works out for me.

Can you have too much flow through the reactor? I'm thinking if you get a bigger pump they *can't* clog. But maybe they won't perform right I'm not sure.

Shipped Friday!
Old 05-24-2010, 12:36 AM

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Wainting on response to my pm i sent you

~*~*Stefan*~*~
Formally known as Svaningen
35 gallon Red Sea Max
Only 16 years old!!!!
CALL AFTER 3:00 ON WEEKDAYS. 604 782 3313
Old 05-27-2010, 05:03 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Well, as expected my display tank water is cloudy after 1 day of having the pellets tumble better. The pellets didn't tumble very well for the first couple of days.

I plan to tabulate all my readings and results later in the beta testing using Excel to make it easier to see any changes in Nitrates & Phosphates.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:37 AM
Gold Member

Woke up this morning & the display tank was noticeably clearer.

Now, at 7:37pm, the tank water is almost completely clear again.

Very happy about this development.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:35 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

So these pellets are expected to cloud the tank for the first few days?
Old 05-29-2010, 06:11 AM
R.I.P.

pinhead is on a distinguished road

I have not noticed any cloudiness but i am running mine in the sump so I may not have noticed if it was present.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:55 AM
Gold Member

It happens sometimes. Some people never experienced any cloudiness, others did. I did but my bioload is very high for a full blown reef.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:06 AM

Tom R is on a distinguished road

My current system is 450G. I have been using ZEOvit for the last 2 + years.
I decided to go off the ZEOvit system last October mainly because of its cost. Since the end of January my tank has experienced a number of issues.

I decided to use NP BioPellets to control both nitrates and phosphates in my system as one of the problems since discontinuing ZEOvit was a breakout of algae.

On April 10 I added 1000 ml of NP pellets, I wanted to ramp up the use of BioPellets over a 3 month period.

I decided to convert my 3 liter ZEOvit reactor into a fluidized pallet reactor. I added a mesh mode to the upper and lower lids of the ZEOvit reactor. My ZEOvit reactor uses a Sedra KSP2500 pump and with 1000 ml of pellets about 2/3 of the pellets would tumble. The Sedra 2500 was not strong enough to tumble all of the pellets in the 6 inch wide reactor.

On May the 25 I added another 550 ml of the original pallets. The Sedra 2500 was unable to tumble the pellets at this point. As I had a Mag 7 sitting on the shelf, I swapped out the Sedra 2500 for the Mag 7. This now tumbled the pellets very well. Today I added another 625 ml of the new smaller pellets to the reactor and they are tumbling very nicely.

As I have been experiencing a Cyno outbreak since introducing the pellets I have been dosing 45 ml of Brightwells MB7 a week and this is slowly reducing the Cyno Bacteria in my tanks. To dose the MB7 I shut off both the Pellet reactor and my Skimmer. I then add 45 ml of the MB7 to the Pellet reactor and stir it up. I then let the Pellet reactor sit for a couple of hours with the pellets covered in a mix of water and the 45 ml of MB7. I then turn on the pellet reactor and about 6 hours later I turn on the skimmer.

Since starting the NP Pellets I have see an improvement in my tanks overall condition.

I will update this thread as time goes on with my tanks improvement.

Tom R

Last edited by Tom R; 06-01-2010 at 01:31 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:50 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I received my pellets today and promptly got the TLF reactor online. It's hanging off the back of my 34g Solana and I put about half the 550mL bag into it. The MJ1200 was way too much flow so I currently have an MJ600 on there and it's tumbling extremely well. Much more turbulent in the bottom third of the pellet suspension but the top is boiling nice and smoothly. Kien mentioned they get heavier and I may need the MJ1200 later...I'll wait and see.

One comment I have about the setup is it's super loud. That's got nothing to do with the quality of the product but more to do with the reactor's location. Being out in the open you can hear the pellets all tumbling against the reactor tube and it's quite loud. If these work out I will explore the possibility of relocating the reactor to inside the stand but I'm not sure an MJ1200 has enough pressure to flow down 3 feet, through the media and back up 3 feet. Any opinions?

I have never tested phosphates or nitrates and the elos test kits I have are about a year old.

PO4 - 0.1
NO3 - 0.2

I do build a green film on the glass over the span of a few days and a couple of my rocks have a very thin green film/hue to them so I suspect my values are higher than this? I have done 5g weekly changes since setting this tank up and my bioload is light but I think I'd better buy new kits and verify.

So other than param changes what can I expect to see once these kick in? Improved growth and colour is what I've been hearing.

Will report more as I see/measure it. Thanks O.C. for the chance to test these.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Gold Member

Here is a quick video showing my tumbling. The video doesn't convey how loud it is but I can hear these things rattling and pinging off the reactor cylinder upstairs in bed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LT1v_OR_Ac

Reducing flow makes it quieter but still not great but I have no valve yet can only pinch the hose.

I should note that I did Kevin's 'red coral mod' and simply took out the bottom red plate so water just exits the tube. Maybe that is related to the noise I'm not sure?

Last edited by lastlight; 06-08-2010 at 05:56 PM.