Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-17-2015, 02:42 PM

Humpty is on a distinguished road
Default Algae problems, Cyano or Diatoms?

Ok so I have a reef system that I started around the middle of October 2014. So its been up and running for about 4 months. It is a 180g tank with an 80g sump. I run 2 x 5' ledzeal led lights. I have a skimmer rated for 400g and I use ro/di water. I have it stocked right now with various corals and,
2x black ice clowns
4x regular clowns
6x blue chromis
1x lawnmower blenny
1x 6 line wrasse
1x velvet damsel
1x royal dottyback
15-20 hermit crabs
3x turbo snails
I feed them homemade frozen food once a day.

I have been into freshwater tanks for about 10 yrs, I have kept tanks from 10g to 200g. I have an understanding of most of the algae that I have to deal with. Saltwater is a whole different beast. Im having a harder time figuring out what is what.
So lately I have been getting some red spots in my sump and on some rocks and also on my glass. I know from freshwater that cyano usuaully develops in sheets and comes off easy. Well these red spots don't develop anything like it does in my freshwater tanks. its just a bunch of spots not sheets. I also read that turbo snails will not eat cyano but whatever is growing all over my glass my turbo snails eat it up. Some of the red spots are on the glass pretty good, doesn't come off with my fingers. Some of it feels a tiny bit slimy, but not like cyano, more like diatoms. I've also read that cyano develops in lower flow areas but I am getting red areas in my higher flow areas and nothing in the slower areas. I heard that if you use a turkey baster cyano should come off the rocks but nothing is coming off when I do that.

I test my tank every weekend. This sunday my parameters were as follows:
Ph = 8.3
Alk = 13
Nitrate = 10
Phospahte = 0.5
Calcium = 460
Mag = 1350
Salinity = 0.026
Temp = 79

Attachment 13875
Attachment 13876
Attachment 13877
Attachment 13878
Attachment 13879
Attachment 13880

So can anyone help me figure out what type of algae this is so I can figure out the best route to getting rid of it?

Last edited by Humpty; 06-09-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:57 PM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

Looks like Cyano to me.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:24 PM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

Cyano too me too increase flow and manually remove it will doscourge growth it should go on it's own in time there are some products out there that fix it I've used a few and both worked good just follow the directions but if it's a small case flow and wc and time should solve it
Old 02-17-2015, 05:45 PM

reef-keeper is on a distinguished road

Did you record you phosphates correctly? .5 is real high. Should be < .04. That high level will cause algae growth
Old 02-17-2015, 05:49 PM

Skimmin is on a distinguished road

Dosing vinegar with a big skimmer for export and a uv light has worked awesome for me. My tank is 300gal, and was started November 2014. I had the same issues you describe and also had a fair bit of hair algae and a really cloudy bacterial bloom too. It was so bad at one point I could suck out the cyano and within about 10 minutes it would be back. I have been dosing 30ml vinegar daily since I started the tank and in the last few weeks the that has become completely clear of algae. Reefwars posted a vinegar dosing regimen. I have been sticking to .1 ml per gallon vinegar and am now slowly increasing the vinegar to 40ml per day. Nitrate and phosphate are 0.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:11 PM

Simmy is on a distinguished road

I've used Chemi-clean in the past and the Cyano hasn't come back! Its a good product to use but it'll make your skimmer go nuts for about a week.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:21 PM

BubblesUp is on a distinguished road

I used Chemi-clean like Simmy and it works very well. I got mine on Amazon.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:06 PM

Skimmin is on a distinguished road

I like vinegar because you can continue to add it after the problem blooms go away for nitrate and phosphate export. If anything it seems to make my skimmer pull more 'gunk' and there's no excessive foaming whatsoever. You could always message reefwars. Or call Denny at Concept Aquarium in Calgary. He has a wealth of knowledge about dosing and his advice has done nothing but good for me.

Last edited by Skimmin; 02-17-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:47 PM

Humpty is on a distinguished road

The phosphate test is tough to distinguish the exact shade sometimes, but it always tests between .25 and .5. It been like that since I got the test kit.
I don't think its a major problem right now but I know cyano in a freshwater tank can go from minor to major very quickly.
I would like to stay away from chemicals like chemiclean unless no other options work for me. I not a big fan of adding chemicals, I would rather adjust some things and see what happens.
I've heard about the vodka dosing but have never tried it. I get very busy in the summer and would have a hard time dosing everyday. I will do some more reading on the subject.

For now I made some adjustments to my chaeto and lighting in the sump. I've turned the output in the sump to point at the chaeto which is keeping it tumbling. I also moved my powerheads and outputs in my main tank to point towards some areas that have the most cyano.

I thought that turbo snails don't eat cyano but its mowing down a lot of the red algae on my glass. That's the main reason I was not sure if it was cyano or not.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:51 PM

BubblesUp is on a distinguished road

No other options worked for me so I went with the Chemi-clean. It worked and haven't had a problem since. It came in on a piece for me.