Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 09-10-2011, 01:33 PM

reefermadness is on a distinguished road

There are numerous variations of the watermelon chalice and although both those are different, probably qualify as "watermelon"

Both of those are super swweeeet by the way.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Man Harlequin shrimp are frikin awesome looking!!! Great pics too!

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 09-10-2011, 03:27 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post
New rule: ASTRINIA STARFISH ARE NOT FRIENDS!!
What were the Asterina starfish doing? I have been looking afoul at some of the Asterina in my tank. I used to have a nice white specie that had evenly sized legs. Now this new darker gimpy looking Asterina like yours has taken over and some of them are toonie sized with like 10 legs!

I am having troubles with some LPS corals receding and I am wondering if the Asterina are to blame as they seem to be hanging out in the problem areas. I have also been thinking of using a Harlequin Shrimp to get them all, but I don't know what to do with the Harlequin once he eats them all. What are you going to do with yours?

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 09-10-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

I guess I have a question as well... when all the stars are gone, What do they prey on?

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 09-10-2011, 03:39 PM

That's the basis of my question...they only eat starfish.

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:17 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

This will upset some people. I was advised by the store I got mine from was to freeze a sand sifting star fish and cut off a little chunk of leg about once a week for feedings. They are amazing creatures to watch. Sadly mine disappeared when I added my MP40s I added mine to control an asterina problem as well
Old 09-10-2011, 04:24 PM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

I had a pair as well at one time, I had rescued them from a tank where the lady was clueless. As bad as it was i had got a few chocolate chip star kept them in the frag tank and would chop off a leg as they finished the previous. The starfish would recover and start to grow his limb back before he would require amputation again. They have since been re-homed, but i kept them going like this few a few months.

360 Reef Tank
Old 09-10-2011, 07:15 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Problem:

I have hundreds of these stars in my tank. Is the problem eating or sitting on the zoas?

I see them come and go on colonies, and I have definitely had some colonies reduce in size.

Update on the shrimp/star problems?

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:12 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTang<3 View Post
Watermelon ?? Where is a good site/ source for the zoanthid/paly info, I have been collecting rare ones recently and picked up some that i was told were valentines day massacres. Cant seem to find any info on them tho. I picked up that tyree space monster its growing good for me, me thinks we will have to make a trade in the near future.
Me thinks you might be right ! Have any photos of your TSM?

Quote:
I would agree with Wes, kinda looks like my watermelon chalice.
Watermelon it is! I was tempted to get rid of my LPS but this little one has held me back, one of the brightest pieces in the tank for sure!

Quote:
Yesterday 07:33 AM
reefermadness There are numerous variations of the watermelon chalice and although both those are different, probably qualify as "watermelon"

Both of those are super swweeeet by the way.
Thanks Reefer!

Quote:
Yesterday 09:27 AM
Myka
Quote:
New rule: ASTRINIA STARFISH ARE NOT FRIENDS!!
What were the Asterina starfish doing? I have been looking afoul at some of the Asterina in my tank. I used to have a nice white specie that had evenly sized legs. Now this new darker gimpy looking Asterina like yours has taken over and some of them are toonie sized with like 10 legs!

I am having troubles with some LPS corals receding and I am wondering if the Asterina are to blame as they seem to be hanging out in the problem areas. I have also been thinking of using a Harlequin Shrimp to get them all, but I don't know what to do with the Harlequin once he eats them all. What are you going to do with yours?
I have identified 4 different morphs in the tank to date and I don't trust any of them, if their numbers are spiking and they can be found directly on my coral they are coming out of the tank. I have done about 7 removal sessions ranging from 10 stars to over 150.

As others have stated I plan on keeping chocolate chips in my fuge and snipping off a leg every week, they will be a permanent presence on the reef from now on to ensure the stars don't come back.
Quote:
Yesterday 08:07 AM
FishyFishy! Man Harlequin shrimp are frikin awesome looking!!! Great pics too!
They are even better in person, they do this wicked dance similar to a sexy shrimp and the pattern is out of this world! Thanks for the comment.
Quote:
Yesterday 01:15 PM
paddyob
I have hundreds of these stars in my tank. Is the problem eating or sitting on the zoas?

I see them come and go on colonies, and I have definitely had some colonies reduce in size.

Update on the shrimp/star problems?
I would certainly lean that way, I find a majority of the zoas that melt have their coenenchyme mat deteriorate prior to the actually polyp going and a majority of the stars are found directly on the mat gotta put two and two together. Star numbers are dropping fast, my shrimp has gone into hiding though anyone know if there nocturnal?
Old 09-12-2011, 01:52 AM

Quote:
I have identified 4 different morphs in the tank to date and I don't trust any of them, if their numbers are spiking and they can be found directly on my coral they are coming out of the tank. I have done about 7 removal sessions ranging from 10 stars to over 150.

As others have stated I plan on keeping chocolate chips in my fuge and snipping off a leg every week, they will be a permanent presence on the reef from now on to ensure the stars don't come back.
The white ones that are "perfect" mini stars are safe. It's the grey and brownish ones that I've been eye-balling lately. My Asterina don't go on any live parts of the corals, but do hang out at the edges of where a couple have been receding.

I don't think you will be able to keep a CC starfish alive in the limited space of a fuge unless you have a big@$$ fuge maybe?

SPS fanatic.