Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-20-2014, 06:07 AM

Mork is on a distinguished road
Default Magnesium chloride

I'm looking for a cheap source of magnesium chloride in Canada, specifically in the Vancouver area. (Other than BRS - the shipping makes it quite costly)

Does anyone use some brand of ice melting MC? Is there anything in Canadian tire or Home Depot that could work?
Old 01-20-2014, 11:57 AM

MMAX is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't go that route, although some have used chemicals such as Dow Flake(CaCl2) and others in the past. I'd use at least a pharmaceutical grade. I'm sure one of the many SW supply stores in your area could point you in the right direction.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:12 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Couldn't find anything in the Vancouver retail stores. But I now you use this stuff. Have done a couple water changes with it now, and my tank and corals all look fine. It raised the Mg as expected.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...369#post861369
I mix it 10:1 with Epsom Salts. Here is a good article.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php
Old 01-20-2014, 04:20 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road
Default Bulk Chems available in Lower Mainland

Hi Everyone,

I have Dead Sea Works Magnesium Chloride, Dow/Oxy Calcium Chloride, Sodium Bicarbonate - Aluminum Free Natural source and Seachem Strontium Chloride available here in Chilliwack if anyone needs it. PM me if your interested.

Bulk pricing as follows for this batch:
Magnesium Cl: $4.50 per/kg, $39 for 10Kg, $75 for 25kg bag.
Calcium Cl: $5.75 per/Kg, $53 for 10kg, $100 for 22.5Kg bag.
Sodium Bicarb, Aluminum Free Natural Source: $6.50 per Kg, $60 for 10Kg
Strontium Chloride, SeaChem - PM for pricing.

These chems are what I use in my systems.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 01-20-2014, 06:18 PM

Default Chems per pound

Hi Everyone,

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPG007
I have a buddy that owns a chemical company. He can get me Ca and Alk ($2.50 lb each. Cheaper then BRS), and Magnesium Sulphate really cheap ($2 lb. BRS is $2.46),

Since per pound pricing was mentioned I figured I would convert my pricing to per pound for an equal comparison.

For Calcium Chloride, Anhydrous(20% more concentrated than di hydrate)
Calcium Cl: $2.60 per/lb, $2.41/lb for 22lbs, $2.00 for 50lb bag.

Magnesium Cl: $2.04 per/Lb, $1.77/lb for 22lbs, $1.36/lb for 55lb bag.
Magnesium Chloride. Lots of people on Reef Central have been using Dead Sea Works Mag Chloride for years. I personally have been using it for 4 years with out any issues. If someone wants to spend money needlessly on the high grade Mag that is their choice.

Sodium Bicarb, Aluminum Free Natural Source: $2.96 per Lb, $2.73 for 22lbs
No contest here as this product is far superior due to it's natural source. No aluminum or other chemical residues from synthetic creation. see Solvay process http://scifun.chem.wisc.edu/chemweek...iumBicarb.html

Epsom Salts(Magnesium Sulphate), I buy a jug of it at Pricesmart. Magnesium sulphate seems to be very expensive from the wholesalers. It's about $12 for 8.8 pounds or 1.36/lb

Something else to consider is that Bulk Reef Supply and I are vendors. When people purchase chems from us they are supporting Canreef. :-)

Cheers,
Tim
Old 01-20-2014, 09:41 PM

KPG007 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
Something else to consider is that Bulk Reef Supply and I are vendors. When people purchase chems from us they are supporting Canreef. :-)
I'm all about supporting the vendors on here! We posted at roughly the same time. I didn't see yours and wasn't trying to under cut you.

That said, bulk chemicals are definitely the way to go. I don't think enough people take advantage of this method of saving money.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:48 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPG007 View Post
I'm all about supporting the vendors on here! We posted at roughly the same time. I didn't see yours and wasn't trying to under cut you.

That said, bulk chemicals are definitely the way to go. I don't think enough people take advantage of this method of saving money.
Same goes for me. When I was looking for bulk Mg a couple months ago, I was not aware that Tim sold it, or I may have gone that direction. Subsequently, I learned about what Russel and the guys in PG were doing, and I ended up getting some Safe Step Ice Melter. It was cheap, and so far have not seen any adverse effects in my tank.

But good to know that Tim also has bulk alk and Ca, as I will need more of that in the future.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:49 PM

Mork is on a distinguished road

Just ordered a bag off Tim - problem solved.

On the subject of Magnesium. I'm following Balling light, so just used the Mag chloride. But I was wondering if I should add some Mag sulphate too?

Thoughts?
Old 01-21-2014, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPG007
I didn't think you were trying to undercut me as the pricing is almost the same for similar products so no worries. I just converted mine from metric as people may not have seen the /kg on a quick glance. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork
But I was wondering if I should add some Mag sulphate too?
Yes, you should add some Epsom Salt as well. The Balling recipe calls for 550grams Mag Chloride and 80 grams Epsom salt in 10 litres of water.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 01-21-2014, 03:33 AM

PFoster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
Yes, you should add some Epsom Salt as well. The Balling recipe calls for 550grams Mag Chloride and 80 grams Epsom salt in 10 litres of water.

Cheers,
Tim
The older Balling Light formula does but many people these days just use straight Magnesium chloride (I am one of them) and it works just fine.

And I mix 2 kg of magnesium chloride into 2.5 g (just under 10L)

2 of this, one of that though. Its all about what works for you. And obviously either one will work.