Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Freshwater > Ponds & Koi

Old 05-09-2013, 03:16 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

lookin' good hombre.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:20 PM

Oilers is on a distinguished road

Kien,
Your pond is looking better and better each year. I am just wondering what the use of the cardboard is.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:35 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers View Post
Kien,
Your pond is looking better and better each year. I am just wondering what the use of the cardboard is.
Thanks! For additional cushioning to help keep sharp objects like rocks and twigs from poking at the pond liner. It's a bit overkill but I had LOTS of cardboard boxes around and it worked out quite well. A lot cheaper than buying actual pond liner fabric. I have also previously used a generous layer of newspapers and have also seen old carpet or carpet underlayment used.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Thanks! For additional cushioning to help keep sharp objects like rocks and twigs from poking at the pond liner. It's a bit overkill but I had LOTS of cardboard boxes around and it worked out quite well. A lot cheaper than buying actual pond liner fabric. I have also previously used a generous layer of newspapers and have also seen old carpet or carpet underlayment used.
Thanks for the info. Your pond and Dez's are my inspiration of getting a pond myself. I will probably have tons of questions for you when I do have the courage and $$$ to get it started if you don't mind.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Your pond and Dez's are my inspiration of getting a pond myself. I will probably have tons of questions for you when I do have the courage and $$$ to get it started if you don't mind.
Don't mind at all. It's not as expensive as you might think. Well, I suppose it depends how big you want to make your pond. My 300 square foot pond liner was only like $250. Probably the bulk of your cost is going to be landscaping materials like rocks or whatever you choose to landscape your pond with. But also, you can still enjoy your pond while your slowly landscape the around it :-)
Old 05-09-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Don't mind at all. It's not as expensive as you might think. Well, I suppose it depends how big you want to make your pond. My 300 square foot pond liner was only like $250. Probably the bulk of your cost is going to be landscaping materials like rocks or whatever you choose to landscape your pond with. But also, you can still enjoy your pond while your slowly landscape the around it :-)
Yeah, I have nothing in term of rocks or landscaping. I don't even have a fence yet If I get everything done, it's probably in the 10K plus. Yikes!
Old 05-09-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I have nothing in term of rocks or landscaping. I don't even have a fence yet If I get everything done, it's probably in the 10K plus. Yikes!
Well then, I suggest you work on the fence first maybe :-) I take it you have a new house? If so, ya, you have an uphill battle with landscaping ahead of you! Been there, done that..
Old 05-09-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Well then, I suggest you work on the fence first maybe :-) I take it you have a new house? If so, ya, you have an uphill battle with landscaping ahead of you! Been there, done that..
Maybe this is a stupid question but would it be wiser to put the fence (with a gate) in later so it's easier to move things in (rocks, tree, etc).
My house is newish. I have a lawn, fence on one side but not the other.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:56 PM

Seriak is on a distinguished road

Hey Kien,

How do you overwinter your plants and where did you buy the liner from?
Old 05-09-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Maybe this is a stupid question but would it be wiser to put the fence (with a gate) in later so it's easier to move things in (rocks, tree, etc).
My house is newish. I have a lawn, fence on one side but not the other.
Well, I'm not a landscaper and don't know what your yard is like, but it probably wouldn't be a good idea to put a gate into your face if it shares the fence with a neighbour. The new neighbour might not like that. I know I wouldn't. If you have a back lane then I would definitely put a gate there. I suspect you will have a gate to access the back yard from the front yard?

For me I have two gates to access my back yard from the front yard. This is handy for hauling stuff from the front to the back yard If you don't have a back lane typically landscape companies like Burnco will drop off your stuff on your front driveway where you'll have to haul it to the back yard.