Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-29-2009, 02:57 AM

workn2hard2day is on a distinguished road
Default Mantis Shrimp

What is the down side to having one (about 1 1/2") in a tank that only houses 2 clowns & an anenome, a couple of crabs and a couple of snails?
I finally found him, and have taken him & his rock and placed it in the salt water mix tank.
Trying to decide his fate, I will stick him back in the tank if the only bad thing he will do is eat a snail/crab or two.
Any advice appreciated.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:01 AM

karazy is on a distinguished road

well, if he is a spearer mantis he will kill your fish, and if he is a smasher mantis he will kill all your snails and crabs, plus move around smaller rocks, including frags, and possibly go after the fish(but only possibly)
Old 09-29-2009, 02:31 PM

aquatic_rice is on a distinguished road

I had a guy about that size, he was all good until he smashed some sps and made it his door for his cave.

But you didnt mention any corals so i think you should be good.... maybe. I got another mantis from a fellow canreefer and he had to get rid of his guy cuz he was attacking his clowns. I never had that problem though.

both were smashers by the way.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:31 PM

AHHope is on a distinguished road

i have 2 mantises and they are a complete clean up crew in themselves! They would rather pick up a scrap then hunt a crab. They can cause a bit of an algea problem due to the fact that they burrow alot and kill most hermit crabs and snails. Both of mine are housed with a variety of fish and other inverts you just have to take the time and see what kind of a personality yours has. And always remember a fed mantis is a happy mantis.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:31 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

I wish that mine had survived in the main display. I don't know why they didn't. The only downside to keeping them was the loss of the odd hermit crab...easily replaced. I think the threat to fish is overstated. I used to feed them frozen food bits on the end of a skewer. They were entertaining and more interesting than many other critters.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 09-30-2009, 05:51 PM

workn2hard2day is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice. I think I will stick him back in the tank and try to spot feed him.