Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-12-2002, 04:30 AM

Reef_Ready is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Reef_Ready
Default Flat Worms

Looks like I have a bad case of flat worms in my 15gal nano. For quite a while I thought the little 1mm square things were a type of brown algae, but they are definately flat worms.

I siphon out a substantial amount when I do my weekly water changes but they still seem to be gaining. They are mostly on the sand and don’t seem to be affecting the corals… at least not yet.

Any recommended ways to eliminate these guys?

\"I thought you said this was going to be easy?\"
Old 10-12-2002, 04:40 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Six line wrasses have given good results for some. Tetra OOmed is a discontinued medication that also works for most people (if they can find it).
Old 10-12-2002, 05:21 AM

zulu_principle is on a distinguished road
Default Flatworm Pictures

Does anyone have a picture of what flatworms look like in the aquarium ?

I was trying to see what I would see in a tank if I found them.

Thanks

Zulu
Old 10-12-2002, 06:03 AM

reefburnaby is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I would let them be...flatworms are not really a big problem....until they completely cover your corals. They are just not really pretty -- maybe if they were multi-colour....

But, the best way is to siphon with a canister filter That way, you can spend more time sucking up flatworms without draining all of your water. It doesn't need to be a canister filter -- any filter will work.

Chemical control of flatworms is really dangerous -- it is known to be very bad for SPS systems. Biological control...it is not a good idea if you have not prepared the system for these animals. Popular fish that "may" eat "certain" types of flatworms include Mandarin and 6-line wrasse. It is a really hit and miss....more misses than hits. The other problem is that once the flatworms are gone...can you keep a pod-eater happy in a 15 ? Maybe, if you have a refugium of some sort.

Hope that helps.

- Victor.
Old 10-12-2002, 06:03 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Kinda like this.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...-glass-web.htm
Old 10-12-2002, 06:04 AM
Just a guy..

Also, read this..

http://rshimek.com/rogue's_gallery.htm#Red%20Planaria

**copy and paste this link into your browser
Old 10-12-2002, 04:33 PM

SuperFudge is on a distinguished road

RR,

Flatworms are not a problem,any more than bristle worms were 5 years ago,when everyone was trying to get them out of their tanks.

They are detrivours and will never feed on your corals or bother them.
If they do go on a coral,the coral is dead already,and are only feeding on diatoms on the dead portion.

They may go on the base(even then the very bottom) of some softies,such as a sarcophyton or capennella....but still are only feeding on the areas that diatoms may be present,not on the coral itself.

They thrive in low current and medium/low light,such as lower in your tank on the underside of rocks and on the sandbed.

They are truly not worth trying to rid yourself completly of them by a chemical treatment,this will do more damage to your system and sandbed fuana and still is not a sure fix.

They best thing to do,is make it not a flatworms optimal environment,such as heavier current in the areas that they are in abundance.
A little increase in water changes,or the addition of carbon will also take away from their food source.

Siphoning has also proved to be a waste of time,if you siphon they will re-populate immediatly and continue until they are balanced once again with your present nutrient load.

They can become an eyesore,and that is about the limits of thier trouble...but if a few small things are done to make it miserable for them to live,they wont even be that anymore.

And im positive that if they were a little larger and nicer looking,they would be sold as a welcome addition to your detrivour packs that people now purchase.

HTH,
Old 10-12-2002, 07:41 PM

pocilipora is on a distinguished road

Good call Mark!!
Old 10-13-2002, 05:58 AM

Mak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefburnaby

But, the best way is to siphon with a canister filter That way, you can spend more time sucking up flatworms without draining all of your water. It doesn't need to be a canister filter -- any filter will work.
Doh... your my new hero. Wish I had known this a few months ago . Thx

Also I'd like to add. When it's time to do a water change, do half the syphoning of the Flattys one day and the next day after lights on. Let the Flattys regather them selves, then suck the rest of them out. This really helps keep them in check pretty good.
Old 10-13-2002, 01:12 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Although I am one that used the Oomed treatment, Marc has put it pretty good. However they are more of a visual nuisance than bristle worms, which stay hidden unless feeding.

Many seasoned reefers when talking about flatworm infestation, shadow Marc,s comments. In a few cases, siphoning does help, but in most, they reproduce just as fast.