Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

View Poll Results: Should you vacuum your sanbed regularly to avoid nitrates spike and other problems
yes 37 53.62%
no 32 46.38%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2014, 10:13 PM
Banned

Basile is on a distinguished road
Smile A few places have their ideas also

I did a few LFS in the area and they all said the same thing as Diana here. You have a population of critters in your sand bed that establishe itself . If every week or two weeks you disturb that ; your getting rid of alot of helpers and those bacteria who helps you. Never mind shallow or deep it doesn't matter. Like they said if you have deposit of detritus, its because you don't have the correct CUC . Many do the vacuuming to avoid putting out for the right amount of cuc. But the down side is your compounding the problem by destroying lots of bacterias and critters on your side. They even pointed out an example of a nut case with a spatulas on the tank sides because they didn't like the colors. LOL like he said the dim witted did realise it was her bacterias working for her denitrifying her tank and transforming the polutants into less damaging chemical and elements rejouvenating and making it available to the corals. But no it wasn't pretty. Nature has its ways and works , you just have to let it. In any case theirs no right or wrong in this hobby just styles, if it works for you and enjoy your workload happy reefing. :thumbup:

Old 03-18-2014, 10:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonjames View Post
Guess I fall under the category of cleaning lady with my giant vacuum and spatula destroying the entire ecosystem and biological diversity of my tank while making my tanks filtration suffer.

What do you think is in your sand bed that you don't already have in your live rock? Why is actively removing debris from a closed system destroying an ecosystem and why should my filtration be negatively affected from doing so? Is my tank then less capable of processing and filtering then yours is? Is my cleaning lady approach setting my tank up for failure and yours has a far greater chance for success because you keep this "vital and unique" ecosystem intact?

How is the filtration effected? Why should I not clean my sand on a regular bases? And why should I only do so when my tank is experiencing problems as you suggested? Why is doing it then a good idea and not the rest of the time? And what problems actually constitute an appropriate time to do and why does that problem lead you to believe you in fact should be cleaning your sand bed?

So should I get on board with you and put this to rest because us crazy sand cleaning people need to know the facts and that the notion of actively remove debris from our systems via maintaining the sand bed is just silly and if doing so where are actually just tyrants of our ecosystem and creating shortcomings for our tanks filtering and processing capabilities?

I don't care if you don't want to flush that toilet you call a sand bed by actually maintaining it but i don't think its appropriate to label those of us out there who do as "this group", "these clean freaks" and try to imply we are doing something wrong and you need to create some thread to out it all to rest so we finally get it! I would hate for a new person in the hobby to read your post and come to the conclusion they should not be cleaning and maintaing there sand
So all those who don't do what YOU preach and have great tanks no nitrate issues for years , how do you explain that. i used the clean freaks because we're bombarded by you people all the time about it. In my club 2 of you came and started bullying the rest into doing thats, as if it was a crusade, your aggressive deffence versus when i say its a question of style and a choice , you've gone Off the chart , like the same who came into are quiet club and started this issue. Now because you and your crusades it has split everybody for no reason than self gratification i guess. Thats why i've posted in every site i could think of and see the result, talked to all the LFS i could find and see. It is a personal choice no doubt about it a style, because it seems to be split in the middle. So again those who dont do it and have no issue how do account for that?

Last edited by Basile; 03-18-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:22 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonjames View Post
That ecosystem looks so biologically diverse that I wouldn't be surprised if it actually could answer back.
It's still moving. I'm a bit worried.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:34 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Are you new here? Half the crap I write isn't worth publishing. Do you have any comments worth reading?

You don't like the font size don't give the option at all then.....and i wont give a stupid answer to a .........remark.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:38 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basile View Post
You don't like the font size don't give the option at all then.....and i wont give a stupid answer to a .........remark.
Be nice or I'll ban you in about 2 seconds.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:44 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

spank him with a spatula first please.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:49 PM
Banned

Yep like i said you do react the same way making fun of those who chose not to vacuum and then bully them its the same here , chow, done here , not worth it.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:50 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
spank him with a spatula first please.
Right?? Did I mention I'm sick and cranky today? And have a 50g drum of sludge in my living room trying to kill me? I should have vacuumed my sand bed...
Old 03-18-2014, 10:59 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Right?? Did I mention I'm sick and cranky today? And have a 50g drum of sludge in my living room trying to kill me? I should have vacuumed my sand bed...
sell it as miracle mud =)
Old 03-18-2014, 11:00 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
sell it as miracle mud =)
You.Are.Brilliant.